This is interestingly sticky. Would anything be served by making a point of a quiet conversation with the manager regarding your objections to the fish? Kind of a non-accusatory statement that said fish slipped by their rigorous product inspection protocol?

It's no different than sending back a corked wine.

Only good things could come of it:

1. You get a new dish

2. The chef (at any decent place) immediately goes to the walk-in to give the ol' smell test to the rest of the product.

3. If the rest of it smells like Clorox they appreciate the fact that you tipped them off. Unless you ordered the Lutefisk, in which case that's on you.

The waitress certainly doesn't care. All she's going to do is go tell the chef what you said.

I think people think it'll be a bigger to-do than it actually ever is. You're not dining at Kenny Shopsin's, it'll be okay.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, someone has to start this thread, and I did go last night, but it took Significant Eater longer than expected to arrive, so I was content with an aperitif and a glass of Pet Nat, and 5 delicious

By the time this thread peters out,I think that Frenchette may have a burger on the menu...

In keeping with a long-standing tradition on MFF, this response is obligatory:   Having been to neither The Grill or Frenchette, I can unequivocally state Frenchette is certainly more "Mad Menesque"

This is interestingly sticky. Would anything be served by making a point of a quiet conversation with the manager regarding your objections to the fish? Kind of a non-accusatory statement that said fish slipped by their rigorous product inspection protocol?

1. I'm sure they can read Mouthfuls and get the same information :)

2. Why is this any different than, I dunno, Wilfrid not returning his leg of rubber lamb? I know people think that with fish it's different but it's not.

I appreciate, however, the advice on how to dine. I know I'm not very good at it, having only returned less than a handful of dishes in 25+ years of doing it :)

• Like 1

The turbot is so so old, and I am so nice for pretending to like it. So old.

I dont think its nice. The idiot cook who didnt notice it being off should get screamed at. Theyre trying to train up relatively green cooks. Being nice about it just increases the possibility that it happens again.
We aren’t supposed to be screaming at our employees anymore,remember ? A tough call...if I’m dining with people,and we are having a good time,ruining the mood by complaining about things after we’ve plonked down the cash and had a relatively good time,not a good move. On the other hand ,when you go out to eat with other cooks,you often rehash the meal after you've left,with a good share of criticism And delight,if all was delicious....

I have no formula. Age inures. I've sent back obviously screwed up dishes in the past. These days I'm more likely to shrug and not order dessert.

There are occasions when you don't dare give the kitchen a second chance; when the chicken is still frozen when served, for example. There may be fish dishes so horrific they fall into the same category.

I appreciate, however, the advice on how to dine. I know I'm not very good at it, having only returned less than a handful of dishes in 25+ years of doing it :)

I could have written this sentence.

The turbot is so so old, and I am so nice for pretending to like it. So old.

I dont think its nice. The idiot cook who didnt notice it being off should get screamed at. Theyre trying to train up relatively green cooks. Being nice about it just increases the possibility that it happens again.
We aren’t supposed to be screaming at our employees anymore,remember ? A tough call...if I’m dining with people,and we are having a good time,ruining the mood by complaining about things after we’ve plonked down the cash and had a relatively good time,not a good move. On the other hand ,when you go out to eat with other cooks,you often rehash the meal after you've left,with a good share of criticism And delight,if all was delicious....

I guess maybe they'll put that rule into place once they open for lunch...