• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, someone has to start this thread, and I did go last night, but it took Significant Eater longer than expected to arrive, so I was content with an aperitif and a glass of Pet Nat, and 5 delicious

By the time this thread peters out,I think that Frenchette may have a burger on the menu...

In keeping with a long-standing tradition on MFF, this response is obligatory:   Having been to neither The Grill or Frenchette, I can unequivocally state Frenchette is certainly more "Mad Menesque"

...beautiful beautiful -- just gorgeous -- lamb chops ...that were salted beyond the point of palatability.

No, I did not complain, much less return them.

Did you eat them anyway, i.e., send an empty plate back to the kitchen? If so, could you have told the waiter then that your would have enjoyed them substantially more had they been less salted? Maybe just a lack of attention that only affected you or possibly someone with a heavy hand that should be curbed.

Reminded of the inedible turbot at Petit Crenn last year, which indeed I didn't eat. As there was an open kitchen, I could see the problem; young line cook tasting and salting and tasting and salting constantly, almost manically. Palate must have been shot an hour into service.

Just to be serious for a minute -- although it'll sound like I'm just repeating Orik -- if I had complained about the lamb chops even obliquely, it would have become a Big Deal. A manager would have come to talk to me about it. They'd have sent us a raft of comped desserts -- more than we would have wanted. Or, even worse, some additional main dishes. It would have turned our night from a pleasant reunion with friends I don't get to see enough into The Time I Complained About My Lamb Chops.

Oh, I think there are ways to let the chef know without making a big to-do over it.

You're a regular, they trust your opinion and your tastes. Certainly, speaking alone to another trusted employee, perhaps at the end of your meal, would not have caused the stir you are worried about.

• Like 1

It's exactly because he's a regular that the right thing to do is write about it and not just be a cheerleader in exchange for comped dishes or whatever. The restaurant can read and learn about its process control issues without tying it to a relationship.

I find the concept of trying to hash things out in private downright toxic.

• Like 1

It's exactly because he's a regular that the right thing to do is write about it and not just be a cheerleader in exchange for comped dishes or whatever. The restaurant can read and learn about its process control issues without tying it to a relationship.

I tend to take the exact opposite tact. I simply don't post or write publicly (in detail, other than general recommendations) about restaurants where I have relationship. Instead, if there's an issue, I'll tell them, but not during the meal and not in exchange for comps. But I think that I have to admit that my approach is preclusive of writing about restaurants I go to in the same way that Sneak does.

• Like 1

I tend to take the exact opposite tact. I simply don't post or write publicly (in detail, other than general recommendations) about restaurants where I have relationship. Instead, if there's an issue, I'll tell them, but not during the meal and not in exchange for comps. But I think that I have to admit that my approach is preclusive of writing about restaurants I go to in the same way that Sneak does.

Different situation. The limits of the relationship here are more or less easier access to reservations. Same food, same prices, same service (other than an occasional chat) at a high-volume brasserie restaurant. This isn't like I'm going to some place where they serve me ortolan while the next table gets quail.

eta: I mean, if I ever felt like I couldn't write about bad dishes or meals at McMillan enterprises, then I would stop writing about them altogether. It gets more difficult at a place like Aska.

• Like 1

Once again, I'm not sure I understand.

Don't you think that the chef wants to know if something was served and it sucked?

And rather than spread it all over the internet, a little aside might be a more mature way of dealing with it.

I'm certainly not talking about comps, freebies, reservations or anything of the sort.

No, I think that "spreading it all over the internet" (because we know MFF is the most widely read platform out there :blink: ) offers the chef and everyone interested a good perspective on what things are like, without creating a difficult to control situation such as Sneak's table mates feeling simultaneously sorry for him sitting there waiting for his replacement chops and carrying a residual notion that he complains, or some random event resulting from returning a big ticket fish.

I suppose that similarly you think that if the steak is incredible I should just tell the chef in private, and not spread it all over the internet?

Also, having eaten some dishes here multiple times, I'd be shocked to discover the chefs believe they're delivering accurate, well controlled recipes and not the brasserie style, close to the beast cuisine that they produce - I've had the tongue and mackerel five times and it was anything from a cool (in temperature and disposition) take on vitello tonnato (in portion size too), to five large and hot pieces of spanish mackerel topped by equally large slices of tongue, little sauce, and bitter greens. I thought all versions were good but I'd have a hard time recommending the dish for some specific properties other than the ingredients are very good, well prepared, and work together.

• Like 1

Once again, I'm not sure I understand.

Don't you think that the chef wants to know if something was served and it sucked?

And rather than spread it all over the internet, a little aside might be a more mature way of dealing with it.

I'm certainly not talking about comps, freebies, reservations or anything of the sort.

There is also the issue of timeliness and attribution. As with a toddler or a dog, discussing a wrongdoing 24 hours after the fact is a waste of breath. Which lamb chops? Which order? How salty?

I also have a problem with complaining even mildly about food I've consumed. But then I'm more than willing to leave a problematic plate rather than force myself to eat it. That alone usually initiates the conversation.

Just to be serious for a minute -- although it'll sound like I'm just repeating Orik -- if I had complained about the lamb chops even obliquely, it would have become a Big Deal. A manager would have come to talk to me about it. They'd have sent us a raft of comped desserts -- more than we would have wanted. Or, even worse, some additional main dishes. It would have turned our night from a pleasant reunion with friends I don't get to see enough to The Time I Complained About My Lamb Chops.

I have a horror of ever making a fuss, but it must be nice to be treated that way sometimes. I'm the sort of diner who can have his opinion directly solicited and then ignored by the chef.