• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, someone has to start this thread, and I did go last night, but it took Significant Eater longer than expected to arrive, so I was content with an aperitif and a glass of Pet Nat, and 5 delicious

By the time this thread peters out,I think that Frenchette may have a burger on the menu...

In keeping with a long-standing tradition on MFF, this response is obligatory:   Having been to neither The Grill or Frenchette, I can unequivocally state Frenchette is certainly more "Mad Menesque"

Nothing like it at all. 

Exemplary sauce, very good puff pastry, loose, sort of messy filling with some very overcooked breast. Not going into the book of most technically proficient pithiviers but good bistro food. 

Another excellent escabeche (whelks this time), comped some blowfish tails, kidneys also overcooked (this time, but not last), also in exemplary sauce.

eta: oh, yes, and that mortadella, with parmesan and decorative truffles, what a bite.

eta2: and brouillade. yes, we eat, we eat.

But I think I have another answer for you on why it's so appealing, other than it actually serving dinner late and having nice people all over the place, and the nice wine list, and good ingredients under the constraints of New York. 

With no big ticket items, this dinner was $360 after tax and tip, half of which was on booze. With an average bottle from the list it would have cost under $250. the same as in any crappy neighborhood restaurant.

The kitchen needs better control, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I cooked two pork loins at the weekend, browned, then roasted in Malaga wine with raisins and almonds.  Moist, tender, impeccable.

This kitchen could do the same, but there seems to be a decent chance (30%) that they'd fail. That's my concern.

As you all know, we don't eat dinner at home much.  A roast chicken here, a couple of pork chops there, maybe a delivery or a deli type dinner... bottom line is that we're out 4 nights/week minimum.  Basically, Sneak hit the nail on the head quite awhile ago when he said that $100pp for a mediocre meal is the new norm (may even be a little higher now).  This is definitely true in Bklyn. as well as Manhattan.  Even though we still have some places we enjoy and get us out for significantly less than that, we've spent the past several months going to quite a few places where major & minor errors, or downright bad or mediocre kitchen talent, or poor/inept service or attitude made the meal less than what we enjoy about going out.  Quite a few.  And yet the prices were close to, at, or over $100pp.  So... all that by way of saying that Orik's explanation of Frenchette's attraction is, as you say, "fair enough".  For $250, we'll watch what others are eating & try to avoid the place's weak spots.  That's if we can get in, of course.  And whether or not we want to travel all the way to the outer borough of Manhattan to get it.  :cool:

But I think I have another answer for you on why it's so appealing, other than it actually serving dinner late and having nice people all over the place, and the nice wine list, and good ingredients under the constraints of New York. 

With no big ticket items, this dinner was $360 after tax and tip, half of which was on booze. With an average bottle from the list it would have cost under $250. the same as in any crappy neighborhood restaurant.

The kitchen needs better control, that's for sure.

I cooked two pork loins at the weekend, browned, then roasted in Malaga wine with raisins and almonds.  Moist, tender, impeccable.

This kitchen could do the same, but there seems to be a decent chance (30%) that they'd fail. That's my concern.

Better control, or maybe simply ordering things that you know they cook right?  Which of course, may not be your reason for coming here - but since everything else makes you happy...(what's the corkage for bringing your own lamb or kidneys from home?).

I used to have a somewhat similar problem dining out with a food critic who always wanted to order fish rare." Or wanted me to order my fish rare - I don't like all fish rare, and I simply stopped ordering fish.

Bring my own kidneys.  I try to.  :D

My downfall here is that I'm a meat eater, and it doesn't seem to be what they do best,

@SteveR:  $86 for burger, fries, salad, and a glass of wine at Virginia's, so I think we're above $100 pp for dinner.

Better control, or maybe simply ordering things that you know they cook right?  Which of course, may not be your reason for coming here - but since everything else makes you happy...(what's the corkage for bringing your own lamb or kidneys from home?).

I used to have a somewhat similar problem dining out with a food critic who always wanted to order fish rare." Or wanted me to order my fish rare - I don't like all fish rare, and I simply stopped ordering fish.

I've had the kidneys before, they were cooked correctly.

I've also had one fish soup that was a very proper French country style fish soup (which I'm sure we can all cook in our sleep) and one which was basically fish bone broth (very gelatinous, but with little flavor) and tomatoes. Go figure.