• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, someone has to start this thread, and I did go last night, but it took Significant Eater longer than expected to arrive, so I was content with an aperitif and a glass of Pet Nat, and 5 delicious

By the time this thread peters out,I think that Frenchette may have a burger on the menu...

In keeping with a long-standing tradition on MFF, this response is obligatory:   Having been to neither The Grill or Frenchette, I can unequivocally state Frenchette is certainly more "Mad Menesque"

Or aska, absolutely

Let's not forget when WD50 opened, the zagats were predicting salad on the menu in a year, and when it closed much later (was it after they sold their business?) there still wasn't one.

I just meant to say (the obvious),that the burgers pay for the rabbit liver,that only 8 people will order,on the menu at many places. When you have a bunch of avocado gelato that you may have to throw out,despite 10 chefs and food nicks liking what you do,you have to do the dishes that keep the restaurant solvent...and you Can be passionate about putting out a consistent product month after month. Thats your um,duty.....

LIKE!

Yes, gold star of course.

Who needs Hannity and Kimmel?

I like both of you guys, and I understand the offense and also don't believe it was intended.

Online it will just escalate; I don't know if you can mend things offline.

• Like 1

I just meant to say (the obvious),that the burgers pay for the rabbit liver,that only 8 people will order,on the menu at many places. When you have a bunch of avocado gelato that you may have to throw out,despite 10 chefs and food nicks liking what you do,you have to do the dishes that keep the restaurant solvent...and you Can be passionate about putting out a consistent product month after month. Thats your um,duty.....

LIKE!

Yes, gold star of course.

Idk. Has this ever been a sustainable model? Usually, the burger eats the entire menu and the place starts to suck. Maybe Bloomfields restaurants use the burger to make the margins and have made it work long term, but its hard to think of other examples.

I eat here a couple times a week.* It's by far the restaurant that New York has needed for AWHILE. There's nothing even close to this combination of fun and delicious in NY right now. I'm sure I'll see you all there every week.

*because I am personally close to several people who work here and Sneakeater feels I must disclose this tho I thought it was obvious from the multiple visits in the first week+. I am heavily personally invested in their success although I maintain that doesnt impact my ability to recognize fun (or great food) when I see it. Considering Librandt, Boulud, and the Joe Beef Guys were all in tonight, Im sure no one cares what my opinion is anyway. Theres your disclaimer!

<snip> It's by far the restaurant that New York has needed for AWHILE. <snip>

Haven't we heard that many times before? Maybe because the NY dining scene always needs something? (Not doubting that it's good; just that it's a godsend.)

<snip> It's by far the restaurant that New York has needed for AWHILE. <snip>

Haven't we heard that many times before? Maybe because the NY dining scene always needs something? (Not doubting that it's good; just that it's a godsend.)

I dont know what weve heard before and Im happy to personalize to say that its the restaurant that Ive been needing bc I think NY has forgotten to have fun and certainly fun and great food havent coexisted for quite some time in this city. It would be hard to argue that anything has opened in the last year that could be described as a super fun time. At any given time Im going to know 10-20% of the people at Frenchette and 90% of the staff and theyre all lifelong professionals who are amazing at what they do. Theyll pour with a heavy hand and the food will be delicious and the room is beautiful and every is happy to be there. So being there is a pleasure. Whatever anyone else needs out of a restaurant is above my pay grade.

• Like 1

By all accounts the food Nasr and Hanson produced at Minetta was very good. (I never went - I wasn't willing to jump through the McNally hoops.) N & H are proven talents and I expect them to produce food of similar or even better quality at Frenchette. Without the McNally halo effect after the opening crowds die down it should be possible to get a reservation with only a reasonable amount of effort. I look forward to going.

I have no clue why you think this restaurant will be less popular than Minetta but I doubt that unless youre talking about going in 2 years for breakfast. I doubt very much that the McNally halo is needed for this restaurant to be swamped for years.

Edited: Also, I'm not sure why you believe Minetta was SO hard to get into or what timeframe you're referring to as it having required "McNally hoops" to get into. This seems to be kind of made up. I live in the neighborhood where Minetta is and I was not particularly known to the house (at least not in the first couple years) but I was able to go dozens of times and certainly to get bar seats with a drink's worth of wait even early on. You can get a reservation right now at Frenchette on Resy if you're flexible about going early- they release a couple every day. It will be much harder to get into later, assuming their reviews go well. Waits at the bar on weeknights are generally 45 min to 1 hr.