Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

The Metromaniacs by David Ives

Produced by Red Bull Theater (whose production of The Government Inspector we greatly enjoyed a few months ago) at The Duke, on 42nd Street.

This is another of David Ives's "translaptations" of a French play, this one from 1738. In verse, about verse. Basically a French version of commedia dell'arte: young lovers, warring fathers, cunning servants, mistaken identities. This one has mistaken identities on steroids. Not for purists who object to contemporary 21st-century references in their 18th-century plays. David Ives is absolutely brilliant, and we just about busted a gut laughing at both very broad and pretty subtle jokes.

Runs through May 26. See it.

I have never walked out of an Ives "transladaption" of a French Baroque comedy without a painfully busted gut. (That's a GOOD thing.) Can't wait to see this one.

Forgot to say: The acting is great--broad and self-aware, as you would expect, but not painfully so. I'd had the idea that Michael Kahn was not so good a director (maybe received from friends at Juilliard?), but the direction was just right here.

Also: before the show started, Ives was chatting with a guy sitting directly in front of us. Paul and I had been talking about how much we love his plays (well, I was not crazy about Venus in Fur, but Paul loved it) and were trying to remember the protagonist of New Jerusalem. Ives graciously allowed us to interrupt, and chatted with us briefly after reminding us (it's Spinoza).

Great to hear that you liked it. Seeing this on Tuesday.

There's a pretty nice discount available on tickets through the 26th.