Sign in to follow this  
Behemoth

Shrubs

Just tried this for the first time -- a couple of stalks of rhubarb macerated with sugar for a day, then strained and raspberry vinegar added.

Good way to use up odds & ends of fruit. Also a good way to use up vinegar (I seem to get it as a gift pretty often .. is that weird?)

Good nonalcoholic with seltzer, but good with alcohol too.

• Like 6

Well, yeah. And there's a whole class of cocktails called "shrubs", which contain those vinegar-based shrubs. It just never occurred to me that you could drink a shrub without the alcoholic accompaniment.

• Like 1

Well, yeah. And there's a whole class of cocktails called "shrubs", which contain those vinegar-based shrubs. It just never occurred to me that you could drink a shrub without the alcoholic accompaniment.

Well, that you. ;)

I just had a can of Up Mountain Swizzle Sparkling Switchel Beverage that I received in a swag bag. From what I can find, switchel is a Vermont thing, made from apple cider vinegar, ginger, and maple syrup (maybe to use up excess production of apples and/or maple syrup?) or honey. This brand includes sparkling water as well. It was . . . okay. Tasted of vinegar, ginger, and maple in decent proportions. But I suspect it would have tasted a lot better if I'd added alcohol.

You just don't know enough people in kombucha circles.

• Like 1

It never occurred to me you could ingest a shrub without alcohol.

At Shed, in Healdsburg, they have a whole soda fountain counter dedicated to shrubs, switchels, and the like.

With or without alcohol - dealer's choice.

yeah, it tastes a lot like kombucha but I just couldn't drink the quantities I was producing.

So aside from vermouth/seltzer and with sparkling wine, how else can I use it in a cocktail? Presumably gin + ...?

That you could drink it without alcohol or that you would drink it without alcohol? I would've thought the latter 😁

So aside from vermouth/seltzer and with sparkling wine, how else can I use it in a cocktail? Presumably gin + ...?

Gin seems obvious, but also citrusy shrub + herbal + tequila.

peoples keep giving me shrubs as gifts and i keep forgetting them in the gift closet. my next bruncheon will feature shrub cocktails

Well, that you. ;)

I just had a can of Up Mountain Swizzle Sparkling Switchel Beverage that I received in a swag bag. From what I can find, switchel is a Vermont thing, made from apple cider vinegar, ginger, and maple syrup (maybe to use up excess production of apples and/or maple syrup?) or honey. This brand includes sparkling water as well. It was . . . okay. Tasted of vinegar, ginger, and maple in decent proportions. But I suspect it would have tasted a lot better if I'd added alcohol.

Switchel is pretty old, from colonial times I think. They also have it down in the islands.

Not appropriate for this time of year but I have made a cranberry shrub the last few years for a holiday cocktail with Zirbenz, gin, shrub, and Cava.