Daisy

City shorts for men (recreating this disappeared topic)

I live at what just might be the US nexus of men's fashion as worn by your friends and neighbors rather than on the runway or in a photo spread.Many hyper-groomed, extremely spiffy-looking fellows in my neighborhood, and I am used to seeing guys dressed to the teeth, in the latest, etc. on a daily basis.

At the beginning of the season there was a spate of bits in the press about shorts, as in dress shorts, bermuda shorts, whatever you want to call them, worn as business attire. I have a neighbor I have seen working a variation of this: long shorts, highly polished Prada loafers, an oxford-type shirt or a Lacoste. He is a smallish man, very trim and well-groomed and accessorized with the latest watch, belt, bag, etc., and he manages to pull it off albeit in a very "I work in the fashion business and spend at least an hour getting dressed each day" sort of way.

However, my world was rocked this afternoon by a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street. He was wearing a perfectly fitting white shirt and retro-skinny tie and carrying his gray sharkskin jacket. He was tall, lanky, with fashionably tousled and mussed hair and was wearing fashion-forward-looking lace-up shoes, short dark socks, and perfectly fitting suit pants with legs that ended at mid-thigh.He looked like an utter clown. The long, bare, hairy legs especially.

Am I being too harsh? Is this a look anyone should even contemplate? Am I being sexist? (I know this outfit on a woman would not have even gotten a second glance from me)

• Like 8

....a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street....
I think that says it all.

Today I had my hair cut. The colorist at the salon never ceases to amaze me. Some days he has long hair in a bun or a French twist. Others, it is a shoulder bob. He sometimes wears a skirt. Facial hair comes and goes. Au natural, he looks a lot like Tiny Tim. He is into yoga, and I have seen him balance his entire body on one hand.

Leg hair can come or go. Maybe he should go to NY.

Am I being too harsh? Is this a look anyone should even contemplate? Am I being sexist?

No. Never. No.

However, my world was rocked this afternoon by a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street. He was wearing a perfectly fitting white shirt and retro-skinny tie and carrying his gray sharkskin jacket. He was tall, lanky, with fashionably tousled and mussed hair and was wearing fashion-forward-looking lace-up shoes, short dark socks, and perfectly fitting suit pants with legs that ended at mid-thigh.He looked like an utter clown. The long, bare, hairy legs especially.

Oh. My. Gawd. Daisy. You flirt, you. And such a shy girl. That's no way to win me. Nice legs, eh? Good thing you didn't see King Kong's back. Next time, just come up, pinch me and say hello. Both will be shaved tomorrow though, legs and back.

Maybe she didn't recognize you without your usual basket of luxury ingredients in hand? ;)

Dark socks with shorts - was he, by any chance, a rice-eating tourist?

Was his wife wearing a matching polo shirt? Preferably in an unusual pastel tone.

Maybe she didn't recognize you without your usual basket of luxury ingredients in hand? ;)

Okay, since I can't say what I really want to, I'll have to think a bit more ...

Hmmm, it's all coming back to me, those way-too-tight suit pants, 7th and 21st, oh yeh, I was scratching and readjusting myself as I strutted down that catwalk

Cuisses de Chambolle? Not a luxury ingredient? And where have you been dining?

Okay, since I can't say what I really want to, I'll have to think a bit more ...

If you say what you want to concisely I will translate issues of Korean Elle for you.

in 10 years daisy will regret this post.

i can't wear shorts in any context. my spindly legs and knock knees drive the ladies dangerously crazy, you see. when i go to the beach i have to wear a kaftan till i'm in the water.

I understand that "old guy plaid" long golf shorts are very in with younger guys. Usually with no shirt.

"Business shorts" have been common attiire in Australia for decades. Something to do with the climate perhaps. I like the idea; it's a levelling factor.

Dark socks with shorts - was he, by any chance, I rice-eating tourist?

Black socks and shorts always go along with dead white fish belly colored legs. An awful look that appeals to hipsters. They are welcome to it.