splinky

Anthony Bourdain

:angry: Gosh darn it.

I only saw a few of his television programs over the years so I can't comment on what he became. But I remember when I bought Kitchen Confidential (at Hungry Mind in St Paul, MN) and how much I loved reading that book.

Awful.

Just this morning (~14 hours ago in Vietnam), I came downstairs in the hotel to find my 20-year old motorbike guide watching the video of Obama eating bún cha with Tony in Hanoi. He couldnt have been more proud to see the leader of the free world enjoying his country.

The impact that one tv segment had on Vietnamese people, especially the young ones, cant be understated. Last week a 12-year old girl asked me to prcatice English with her in a coffee shop here in Ha Giang. She brought it up during our conversation unprompted, with a huge smile. That happens to me all the time in VN once they know Im American.

Without Tonys passion for Vietnam and eloquence about its charms, who knows if Id have fallen for it so hard.

Heartbroken for his family, loved ones and coworkers.

• Like 3

Through the sadness, it's good to see so many people sharing positive and happy memories of him.

My first Tony story happened just after the first season of his first tv show aired. He was friends with my cousin, and had just reviewed Mikes memoir (which had otherwise gone unnoticed) on Amazon.

Tony was finishing up a photo shoot outside Katzs and I introduced myself. He invited me to join him for a pastrami sandwich inside, which we split while sharing eGullet gossip (it was during his brief posting period).

Id met him a few other times over the years He was always lovely and kind, and was a very good friend to my cousin. Just this past year he published an updated version of Mikes memoir on his own imprint, hosted a book launch, and threw a concert/bash to celebrate the publication, in addition to hiring him to compose/perform the original music for Parts Unknown and No Reservations.

RIP Tony

• Like 2