World Cup 2018

No excitement for the tournament where countries from all over the world play their most defensive form of soccer, hoping to scrape through to the next round, until everyone goes home and Germany or Brazil wins again?

:troll:

• Like 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is why I'm so glad Croatia won.

No excitement for the tournament where countries from all over the world play their most defensive form of soccer, hoping to scrape through to the next round, until everyone goes home and Germany or B

I'm enjoying it. I'll be happy for any team to win at this point. (Excluding the unusually fit Russians...)

No excitement for the tournament where countries from all over the world play their most defensive form of soccer, hoping to scrape through to the next round, until everyone goes home and Germany or Brazil wins again?

I don't know that a 3-3 tie qualifies as defensive.

According to 538, Brazil, Germany, and Spain all have a 20 to 30% chance of reaching the final. Most countries are in single figures.

Like you need a statistical model.

Apparently the 538 prediction model is not much better than last time around.

I don't know that a 3-3 tie qualifies as defensive.

It qualifies as an exception.

We're having a World Cup potluck at the office tomorrow; it's basically an excuse for business to grind to a halt for a couple of hours as England plays Tunisia. (The highest-ranking person in our office is English.) My contribution is Brazilian pao de queijo--I was finally able to use the mix I acquired about a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Leo Robson makes an intellectual meal of football history in last week's New Yorker.

A Brit (and a young Brit), he seems distressed that world soccer made little impact on followers of the domestic game until the period from 1953-66.

Dear boy, there was no internet, only two television channels, and the newspapers weren't sending sports reporters to Brazil.

What I do know first-hand, although young Leo cannot, is that Pele and Eusebio were household names in the UK before 1966. And yes, even my parochial, cockney family could "pronounced them correctly."

Just bumping this prescient post.

I was thinking about that relative to four years ago where we argued and argued he was wrong only to get a brager semi and an argger final. And this year where we didn't engage and the oldest money side in the semis is France and only Bra of the real old money sides even made the quarters.

Hopefully our ignoring other threads will beckon in a new golden age of new sounding pop music...