Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

Hannah Gadsby's Netflix Special

If you want to be up to speed around the water cooler, you have to watch this show. If you don't, it's damned thought provoking and entertaining.

Must watch. Essential.

The first half, I'm thinking she's a very skillful comedian but why is everyone going crazy for this?

Then it turns a corner and there should be no spoilers.

Its not comedy, she created Something Else. Not much else I can say that would live up to what she did, except that its shattering. I hope we can hear from her more in a way she chooses.

• Like 2

Its not comedy, she created Something Else.

True, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I admired it more than I liked it. I generally don't "approve" (as if my approval counts for anything) of performance-as-catharsis. And once I'd watched it all the way through, I started to feel guilty for finding humor in any of it, although of course much of it was very funny. So I'm conflicted. Which is perhaps the point.

Meta comedy is funny but it also brings with it some responsibility, and she does take some big leaps. But really very well done and even more importantly - getting exposure with a huge audience who have probably never considered some of the issues raised. I guess I don't need to buy everything she's selling to appreciate who it is being marketed to, successfully, for the first-ish time.

The intriguing foundation is that she's a very skillful stand-up; I mean, really good.* That's the launch pad. She does cheat the audience on their expectations, but of course that's largely the point (or "Well spotted," as she would say).

*Her art history material...

She does have intriguing observations about male artists and art history. Not sure I accept all of it, but she got me to think about it in a way I had not done before. (Okay, maybe I'm slow.)

The intriguing foundation is that she's a very skillful stand-up; I mean, really good.* That's the launch pad. She does cheat the audience on their expectations, but of course that's largely the point (or "Well spotted," as she would say).

*Her art history material...

Yes. I didn't mean that she cheats on expectations, because of course the brilliant setup is intended to do to the audience exactly that, and exactly what she then demolishes. I meant that she wants to make the art history stuff, for example, the basis of a greater truth about suffering and the other, and it's a shaky basis.

Yes, one doesn't accept every step in the argument, but I think we're all agreed on the impact.