• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pepe's Sally's Modern The Spot Naples Yorkside (I've never been to X and O)     http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/frosh/20...e/p51pizza.html   http://www.nyceats.net/eats/2004/03/new_york_p

Sally's is mentioned and pictured in an article on pizza. Ed Levine writes about pizza with great enthusiasm, it comes through very clearly.     Pizza, and lovin' it

The Spot is not an annex. The Spot is the original Pepe's, which thez kept open. The Spot is the place we went to almost everz week for zears and zears when I was a kid. It was, at least then, quit

• 1 month later...

Went to Zuppardi's this past weekend. The fresh shucked clam pizza is awesome. Also enjoyed a broccoli rabe and bacon red pie. Would highly recommend if you have a car and are inclined to skip the overcrowded (and probably overrated) big 3 in New Haven.

Went to Bar as well. The pizza here, compared to Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, and Zuppardi's, is inferior. Thin, cracker crust--so it either flops around or gets carbonized and reallly crunchy--not much going on with the sauce, the toppings seem to me to be industrial grade (domino's-esque). And as I reported on the beer thread, their beer is awful. Pass.

• 9 months later...

Somewhat of a pizza crawl pre-Trombone Shorty show. First the clam pie at Pepe's which was a bit disappointing. Dryer and thicker than usual. Then a terrific half sausage cheese pie at Sally's. Everything a great pie should be. Perfect amount of char, delicious tomato sauce, great crust. Ate the leftover slices cold on the way home and they were still really good cold. Had a lemon/cherry Italian Ice to cap it all off.

Thanks for the reminder.

Is anyplace besides Pepe open for lunch on a Saturday? That's our only chance, when we pass through on our way up to Vermont. (I suppose we could try for a dinner on our way home, but by then we just want to get home.)

I was curious about access, too.

It looks like you can leave Da Legna (corner of State and Clark) by going east on Clark. Left on Orange for four blocks to Trumbull. Left on Trumbull, stay left and get on the freeway ramp northbound. Looks like the entire distance might be a half mile.

Yes, thanks. Looks like both Modern and Da Legna (almost next door to each other) are easy to get to from the train station (where we get the car) and just a short hop to I-91, where we hit the road. I looked back over this thread to see what people liked about Modern (and also didn't like; in some cases, it was the same pie, of course of course). Have to rely on the menu listings for Da Legna.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...