From Letters of Note:

In 1993 NY Post columnist Liz Smith wrote: "[Aretha Franklin] must know she’s too bosomy to wear such clothing, but she just doesn't care what we think, and that attitude is what separates mere stars from true divas.” Aretha wrote to her...

Dkug6bBWsAIUTCe.jpg

From Letters of Note:

In 1993 NY Post columnist Liz Smith wrote: "[Aretha Franklin] must know she’s too bosomy to wear such clothing, but she just doesn't care what we think, and that attitude is what separates mere stars from true divas.” Aretha wrote to her...

Dkug6bBWsAIUTCe.jpg

a fax from Aretha is a scary thing

and nusrat fateh ali khan in 1997.

It's amazing that like the two greatest singers in the world died on the same day.

I mean, I get that this is the Aretha thread, but in its way this is even more a tribute to her than to Nusrat.

The first time I saw Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan -- one of those revelatory experiences we have few times in our lives -- I remember quite clearly thinking, "This guy's a singer on a level with Aretha Franklin."

I NEVER EVER had that thought regarding any other singer in my life. EVER.

And I go to the opera A LOT.

Speaking of which, a Very Famous Anecdote.

Sometime in the late '60s/early '70s, an interviewer asked Leontyne Price who should thought the best singer in the world was.

LEONTYNE PRICE: Can I give you two answers?

INTERVIEWER: Sure.

LEONTYNE PRICE: One is Aretha Franklin.

INTERVIEWER: Who's the other?

LEONTYNE PRICE: Leontyne Price.

I don't think Leontyne wanted to/could imagine living in a world without Aretha any more than the rest of us do/can.