Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

BlacKkKlansman

Boom. Unmissable. I see it classed as a "comedy," and it's a comedy like "Get Out" or "Three Billboards" were comedies, so there are some very, very funny bits.

But overall it's not a bit funny of course.

Trying to find something non-obvious to mention, the director's extreme patience with some of the scenes. Speeches by Kwame Ture and by a fictional activist played by Harry Belafonte get extended screen time. This is Thucydides. As does a dance scene in a club. Lee is not in a hurry.

Great performances. If the Academy runs away from this, well...

It's the best (fiction) film by Spike Lee I've seen since Do the Right Thing. It would have been nice if Patrice had something to do besides speechify, but man, that last 20:00. You could've heard a pin drop in the theater.

Yes indeed. And I agree about Patrice: not really necessary to the plot or much developed as a character, lovely though Laura Harrier is.

why is Spike fronting for "the man"? Stallworth was there to infiltrate and disrupt Black revolutionaries more than he was there to disrupt the Klan. the Klan and similar organizations were often used in an extrajudicial way by local police and the Feds to disrupt Black revolutionaries.

The film is not told in that way. In the picture, Stallworth infiltrates the Klan. Yes, he got that assignment because he spied on a Black Women's political group. But his focus (and Lee's) is the Klan. David Duke plays a prominent role. No question that the FBI and local police agencies infiltrated various political groups of all sorts.

In the movie, the Klan investigation gets shut down at the end, implicitly by higher law enforcement authorities. That's my memory anyway.

The film is not told in that way. In the picture, Stallworth infiltrates the Klan. Yes, he got that assignment because he spied on a Black Women's political group. But his focus (and Lee's) is the Klan. David Duke plays a prominent role. No question that the FBI and local police agencies infiltrated various political groups of all sorts.

i know that it's not told that way in the story, but i am surprised that there has been little discussion about why Stallworth was there in the first place.