Sign in to follow this  
Seth Gordon

Atomix

Curious, food-wise, if you had a similar reaction - for me, the only dish that wasn't particularly memorable was the second-to-last savory course. In our case it was halibut, but from what I've read it's usually turbot (apparently he didn't like the look of the turbot that morning) - a perfectly fine dish I'd be happy enough with anywhere, but didn't necessarily rise to the level of the rest. Though I suppose given that this menu will only be in effect for two more nights, a bit of a moot issue.

I think that by the time I got to that fish course -- it also wasn't turbot my night, but it was some replacement other than halibut -- I was already so blown away by the quality of everything that preceded it -- I thought that each dish must be my favorite, but the next one always matched or topped it -- that my critical/complaining faculties were just shut off.

Certainly, the final (savory) beef course was another blow-away.  (Speaking of high ingredient quality.)

beef course was another blow-away.  (Speaking of high ingredient quality.)

Of course, the steer stood about 7' 6"

What sold me was that I basically had no idea what the food was going to be like, so it was hard to make any informed choices on my own.

And I have to say that, although the food was recognizably Korean, it did not have the spicy-fermented flavor profile that visits to the Koreatown standbys have led me to expect.

The winelist isn't online. How did it read to you both?

It's an excellent list. Well curated. Markup is mostly around 2X retail. If you email them they'll send you a copy. We went with a Paul Bara champers - dry but not too acidic, medium body, worked really well.

It's an excellent list. Well curated. Markup is mostly around 2X retail. If you email them they'll send you a copy. We went with a Paul Bara champers - dry but not too acidic, medium body, worked really well.

Thanks so much! Emailed them over the weekend after booking and just waiting to hear back.

Thanks so much! Emailed them over the weekend after booking and just waiting to hear back.

It's a good, esoteric list - you could certainly get out for less than the cost of a pairing per person, or way way way way more if you want to splurge. We probably broke even (I think we spent $350 on hooch, including our cocktails at the bar, with tax and tip)

I have to wonder who'd be ordering full bottles of red, though, since basically only one course goes with it. I wish there was a creative tasting-menu-only place that went nuts on a great list of half-bottles and splits - they're the perfect size to play around with more on that style of menu.

I couldn't agree with you more about that last bit.  I always wonder why tasting-menu places don't feature more half bottles.  It seems so obvious.

I couldn't agree with you more about that last bit.  I always wonder why tasting-menu places don't feature more half bottles.  It seems so obvious.

well I guess I will ask them that next month!