Recommended countertiop convection ovens

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Combi is only faster on steam.

What you need to understand is that the steam feature doesn't function the way you think it does. It doesn't moisten what's being heated. Rather, it more efficiently conducts heat. So its main function isn't to make things moist (it doesn't even do that: it doesn't obviate moistening aging bread you want to reheat, for example), but rather to make them crisp.

It's paradoxical.

No more paradoxical than selling $300 toasters in a country where every home is equipped with a close proximity, high precision gas grill with an optional source of steam from the water you're supposed to put in the bottom pan. 

They do make great toast, though.

What you need to understand is that the steam feature doesn't function the way you think it does. It doesn't moisten what's being heated. Rather, it more efficiently conducts heat. So its main function isn't to make things moist (it doesn't even do that: it doesn't obviate moistening aging bread you want to reheat, for example), but rather to make them crisp.

It's paradoxical.

No more paradoxical than selling $300 toasters in a country where every home is equipped with a close proximity, high precision gas grill with an optional source of steam from the water you're supposed to put in the bottom pan. 

They do make great toast, though.

OMG!    Never heard of one of these, but am now pretty sure that I need that too.    :o

• 10 months later...

Sine I rarely turn on the oven, from let's say June to September, the CSO sees a lot of use.  I'm now on my 2nd CSO; the first one, having given me 5 1/2 years of good service, was starting to show its age. It still toasted fine, baked fine, etc. etc., but was kinda wheezing through the steaming process, whenever that mode was used.  And Cuisinart appears to be giving up its manufacture of this particular product, even though it is beloved by many adopters, so buying a new unit was a no-brainer (actually, I got a manufacturer's refurb unit for just over $100, so not a big investment). 

Anyway, it does a great job on chicken thighs, which I like to dry-brine and then steam roast at 450℉ for 30 minutes.

oUKoqCm.jpg

Great crispy skin and moist, properly cooked meat, right through to the bone.

HOW COULD THEY STOP MAKING SUCH AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT???!!!!!!

Good question, but my guess is that it wasn't profitable enough?

And they evidently got a fair amount of returns under their generous (at least when I bought it, it was 3 years) warranty.

The adopters on other food boards have bought up 2nd, and in some cases 3rd backups - of course, they all have room to keep backups.  As soon as I received the new one I ordered, the old one was down in the recycling room.

Right, Anova was making one, then stopped, as they were acquired by Electrolux like a few months after they announced the product.

Miele makes a real oven with steam - but it's over $4K.  So does Thermador. And then you need a 240V line.

You could always put a CVap in your garage  backyard  basement  OK, forget about the CVap.