I totally agree about goat.   Problems are that since it is not "popular", it may be difficult to source.    I can buy it easily at my neighborhood Asian market, but while they sell tons of fresh pork, their small goat selection is thawed and poorly butchered, i.e., carcass frozen whole then sawed into portions.    Not horrible, but a different animal from fresh goat.    I really need to try to shop deep Mission for this kind of meat, fresh lard, etc.    Thanks for the nudge.   

Milk goats aren't very good meat goats, and people who currently eat goat meat aren't generally upper middle class. That more or less sums up why it's frozen and butchered as if the animal is made of bricks.

We had a great source of goat meat at one of the smaller San Jose greenmarkets.  A couple of women raising chickens and goats for eggs and milk who had no qualms about what to do with the animals when they were past their egg-laying/milk-giving prime.

Greenmarket goat is not inexpensive,and when you are rid of the bones, you are not getting very good bang for the buck. I gave up on it, after I couldn’t salvage free leftovers from the restaurants that I was working in. After purchasing a not all that cheap piece of lamb breast the other day,I would add that to the list of not much bang for the buck either, unless you like to eat fat.

• Like 1

After purchasing a not all that cheap piece of lamb breast the other day,I would add that to the list of not much bang for the buck either, unless you like to eat fat.

Yes you do have to like the fat, as with pork belly. On goat butchery, I acknowledge the problem, but it's solved by buying a leg. They're not huge, and they can be roasted or slowly braised. Pot roast goat leg with rosemary.

After purchasing a not all that cheap piece of lamb breast the other day,I would add that to the list of not much bang for the buck either, unless you like to eat fat.

Yes you do have to like the fat, as with pork belly. On goat butchery, I acknowledge the problem, but it's solved by buying a leg. They're not huge, and they can be roasted or slowly braised. Pot roast goat leg with rosemary.

Depending on how you cook it, pork belly or prime pork chop fat is different from and to some more palatable than, say, lamb or beef fat.    Or just back to "different strokes" et al.    The French chide Americans for cutting off fat from grilled meats which they maintain carry flavor.    i.e cut a bite from a chop including a portion of meat and of fat.    It works.     

While we're taking about lamb breast, I'd just like to say that the Poitrine d'Agneau Sainte-Menehould I made recently, and the faux Stroganoff I made with the leftover parts that didn't get Menehouldized, were among the best things I've ever made (however little that might be saying).