Abbylovi

Green tomatoes

I'm beginning to think I will need green ideas, too. I have a bunch and if we don't get sun soon, they will need to get picked tiny and green. Maybe pickled--might be good in bloody marys!

Biting into one offers pretty much the most excitement they have to offer, but you only really want to do this once a year. 

Relishes and stuff, also use as you would tomatillo in salsa with Avocado. 

I've made this recipe for pickled green tomatoes from Splendid Table; it's pretty good. If you've got grape tomatoes, though, you should definitely make tomolives:

Pack the tomatoes snugly into a jar. Add 4 cloves garlic and a tsp of pickling spice. Bring ¼ c. salt, a pint of Heinz white pickling vinegar, and a pint of water to a boil. Pour over tomatoes, let cool, and store in the fridge. The Temple Bar in Manhattan served an "old South martini," garnished with tomolives, which is where I first had them. They're also great in bloody marys.

• Like 1

cut them in half, coat in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them then eat 'em or whir them in a vitamix to make a sauce

I've made this recipe for pickled green tomatoes from Splendid Table; it's pretty good. If you've got grape tomatoes, though, you should definitely make tomolives:

Pack the tomatoes snugly into a jar. Add 4 cloves garlic and a tsp of pickling spice. Bring ¼ c. salt, a pint of Heinz white pickling vinegar, and a pint of water to a boil. Pour over tomatoes, let cool, and store in the fridge. The Temple Bar in Manhattan served an "old South martini," garnished with tomolives, which is where I first had them. They're also great in bloody marys.

My father (he should rest in peace) first turned me onto tomolives, which were always in their fridge.

He loved them, served on the side, with his martinis (properly made with Beefeater's).

I pickle some every year, in thick slices,using Sean Brock’s pickling recipe,which is my favorite...good in a samwich with other pickled things,smoked sprats ,and mayo.

I was rearranging my cookbook shelves, and this recipe popped open...

43532400020_601e7d8f9d_c.jpg

From Kenneth Lo Consulting Editor - The Complete Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking -1979

It actually looks pretty good and reasonably authentic; a little pale dry sherry subbing for Shaoxing wine. I doubt it would hurt to throw a splash of soy in there either. But here I basically see the unripened tomatoes as a sub for another Asian veg with similar characteristics.

My father (he should rest in peace) first turned me onto tomolives, which were always in their fridge.

He loved them, served on the side, with his martinis (properly made with Beefeater's).

I love them too. I am generally a fan of anything olive or olive-adjacent, like pickled caperberries, which the Peekamoose Restaurant in Big Indian serves in THEIR house martini.

• Like 1

Indeed...I like a nice 3:1 or 2:1 or Fitty-Fitty "Martini" (thanks, Audrey), with orange bitters, expressed lemon peel (then discarded), and a plate on the side with various fun pickly things (tomolives, olives, caperberries, etc.).

I made this last night. I couldn't resist trying one this morning and they already taste divine!