Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

What a bizarre mess this 2 hour and 14 minute picture is.  Spoiler alert:  this was my first venture into the Rowling universe; it was weird.

There is incredible craft work in this film: art direction, set decoration; CGI; costumes; etc.  But to what end?  Basically, I got that people with varying degrees of magical skills were running around trying to capture/kill Johnny Depp's Grindelwald (with his odd international accent that tails off at the ends of lines of dialogue) and to try to keep him from scooping up Credence.  Other than that, the plot is just action without explanation until about the hour and 45 minute mark.  At that point, Cornel John launches into a lengthy expository speech apparently intended to explain what's been going on but which simply bored me nearly to sleep.  He finishes and then Zoe Kravitz launches into a lengthy expository speech apparently intended to explain yet more of what's been going on, etc. as my eyes glazed over.  What kind of screenwriting is this?  I guess no one cared.  So at that point I decided this is sort of a good versus evil thing and just go with the flow.  When the end finally arrives, it's not the end, merely the end of this portion of what is the second of apparently a five part jumble.

The nifflers stole the show.  They are an upgade of sorts on the Minions of yore.

More spoilers and speculation here:  https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/what-does-the-ending-of-the-crimes-of-grindelwald-mean.html