• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone have a good recipe for latkes?  Something interesting?

LatkeFest 5781. With cranberry applesauce. Used 10 potatoes, 4 onions. Half of the potatoes were shredded to get the crispies. 

Posted Images

Husband comes into the kitchen, asks, "What are you making?"

"If you're not Jewish, I'm making latkes; if you are, don't ask."

Grated russet potatoes, skin and all, rinsed in cold water, saving water. Removed grated potato, poured out liquid until only a thin layer of white remained. Grated onion into potato, an egg and the white stuff from rinse. Fried in hot oil.

Golden brown, lacy and crisp edges, creamy interior. Sour cream and applesauce.

Husband loved them. Were they latkes? Dunno.

• Like 1

do you people not put onions in latkes?

My ratio is one onion for two potatoes. I shred the potatoes, then put them in a towel and squeeze to remove the excess liquid. Add the onion, salt, eggs, and perhaps some matzo meal if it's too loose. I've used buckwheat flour in place of AWP for a slightly more rustic (and GF) latke.

• Like 1

do you people not put onions in latkes?

Oh yes, of course - just forgot.

@joe

A superbly expensive Michel Bras-branded mandoline did that for a chunk of one of my fingers when slicing potatoes for a gratin. I don’t think it ended up in the food, but I did miss it.

Indeed! 

I did a pretty basic recipe.  Potatoes, onions, eggs, matzoh meal.  Not enough salt or pepper.  i thought they were bland, but everyone really liked them.  

At the end, I threw in a big sprinkling of garam masala.  Pretty good, but not as interesting as I'd hoped.  I think I'll try harissa or sriracha next year.

Now, how do I get the oil smell out of my apartment?