Sign in to follow this  
voyager

Atelier Crenn, 3 Michelin stars?

The mothership being out of my price range, I had Petit Crenn on my list for an upcoming trip. No doubt the prices there will be going up, too. Here in Marche, Uliassi just got its third star, and the menu immediately went from EUR 140 to EUR 180.

Has there been a more closely followed star chase in the world? It’s obvious why, but it’s a little unfair to Crenn to make her into a symbol of anything - Michelin really isn’t the place to address inequalities in the industry, it starts much before that.

Sort of the bigger stories coming out of the last two NYC and SF guides are that the epicenter of American fine dining is not just clearly SF but that’s also now recognized by the establishment.

The other seems to be that the international style fine dining tasting menu restaurant has become catnip to VC while finance really loves its expensive sushi.

Re tasting menu comment: I think that's spot on, based on my Bay Area research anyway. It also seems prevalent in DC, where I'll be in a few weeks. I find the (modern) format to be so depressingly gouge-y and same-y in u.s. metropoles. Notice how many fois gras torchons are on those SF menus? Give me a break...

Petit Crenn was very affordable. And you probably won’t get a line cook with a numb palate over salting your food.

• Like 1

Petit Crenn was a little splurge for us, but we were fortunate in that our friends who invited us to dinner know the sommelier.