Tortillas aren't dying, are they?

• 1 month later...

I was reminded of this thread because on a recent trip to Mexico we saw almost the exact opposite of what the article claims. Tortillerias using Maseca are closing because supermarkets do a better job at the same price or less, while those that use fresh masa, offer specialty sizes or blends, etc. seem to be thriving. I don't doubt the quantitative aspects in terms of decline and industrialization over 20+ years, but with the rise of the middle class the current trend is certainly towards improved quality and a return to tortillas in place of pan bimbo.

• 2 years later...

I buy corn tortillas at Cárdenas Market in Cathedral City (when I am there), and they are made in house and therefore very fresh.  They also make flour tortillas in house, as well as chicharrones, which I love.  The store uses their leftover corn tortillas to make their own tortilla chips, and these are very good also - much thicker than commercial chips, and I prefer them thick.

I have not had any trouble finding good tortillas in southern California, but I have not been back to Mexico since March 2019, and then I only went to Baja California Sur.  I haven't been back to Mexico City since 2005, and I used to go every year in the 1970s and 80s.