bombay and delhi, december 2018

chor bizarre in delhi is down to their original location in the hotel broadway in daryaganj (their london location closed to make way for indian accent there, i think). they still serve a pan-north indian menu but their kashmiri wazwan is still the reason to go eat there. that is to say, there is a lot here for steve to eat but i didn't eat any of it (except a bit of rogan josh).

chor-bizarre-tarami.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was in india for almost three weeks after my hong kong sojourn, spending five days in bombay and then two weeks in delhi. i ate every meal out in bombay as i was staying at a hotel--some solo, most

Hey but one was pastrami and the other is jeere-meere.   (I thought O Pedro at Intersect was terrific, to tell you the truth.)

• 5 months later...

Any thoughts on Gurgaon dining? Probably have two meals there. Is it worth trying to deal with gluten or should I give up on bringing my colleague.  Unfortunately this time travelling w/o Hindi speakers.

Unless you think there are better options for easy for foreigners regional indian I was going to do O Pedro for my one free meal in Mumbai? 

are you staying in the bkc? if so, highway gomantak (which i've reviewed) is very easily reached and is very easy to order a meal at. the menu is in english and enough non-locals go there. just ask for a thali with clams/ tisrya, which you can get prepared either sukke (dry'ish) or masala (wetter). or a thali with some other seafood of choice. either way get an order of prawn fry on the side; not on the menu but they'll give it to you.

or o pedro is good if you want to check out that scene. the smaller plates were better, if i recall correctly. also in bkc is taftoon. the chef is the brother-in-law of a friend. north indian food, done very well and i believe they have a set lunch offer. it's a fancy place--very english speaker-friendly. but you should go to a goan place like highway gomantak (hindu goan) or o pedro (christian goan) before you eat north indian food in bombay.

gurgaon: there's a north indian place called coriander leaf that is good (or was when i ate there several years ago). basically in the genre of the north american curry house but actually good. people will tell you to go to sodabottleopenervala but this is best avoided. assuming you're not there long enough for a long, congested drive to delhi to be worth it, your best bet may be to eat at a good hotel restaurant. and make sure to take a hardcore polution mask with you.

oh, at any indian place gluten-free is easy enough. there is always rice available and outside of the breads there's not going to be sneaky gluten in unexpected places (i.e if you're not ordering things obviously made with wheat).

• 2 months later...

o pedro is one of two new restaurants in bombay that floyd cardoz (NEW YORKER ALERT) is involved in. the other, bombay canteen, seems to be similar to bombay bread bar in nyc. o pedro, however, is goan in focus. i ate there my first night in the city in december and liked it enough to go back one more time with a friend. the second meal was not quite as good but coming from the u.s it's hard to complain. my report. steve: please note that there is no tikka masala in my report or on their menu.

Coming to nyc:

https://www.intersect-nyc.com/

Any thoughts on Gurgaon dining? 

manish mehrotra (of indian accent fame) has a new*, less fancy, still mod indian restaurant in gurgaon that is supposedly interesting/good: comorin. there's an outside chance we might go eat there this sunday.

*actually, it opened in december 2018 (after i left delhi, i think).

o pedro is one of two new restaurants in bombay that floyd cardoz (NEW YORKER ALERT) is involved in. the other, bombay canteen, seems to be similar to bombay bread bar in nyc. o pedro, however, is goan in focus. i ate there my first night in the city in december and liked it enough to go back one more time with a friend. the second meal was not quite as good but coming from the u.s it's hard to complain. my report. steve: please note that there is no tikka masala in my report or on their menu.

Coming to nyc:https://www.intersect-nyc.com/

To be fair, the menu at this (O’Pedro) iteration at Intersect sounds inviting. And the pricing isn’t bad, given the inclusive nature. It’s just hard for me to get past the stadium naming (“...by Lexus”) conceit, especially since it’s coupled with, perhaps, a new high bar in pretentious description of “concept”. And, damn if I can get used to a menu with a “Quarter Plate” section. I’m assuming that their “no cash” policy will soon be re-visited?

Okay, now back to Mongo’s “chickens of India” tour.

Coming to nyc:https://www.intersect-nyc.com/

To be fair, the menu at this (O’Pedro) iteration at Intersect sounds inviting. And the pricing isn’t bad, given the inclusive nature. It’s just hard for me to get past the stadium naming (“...by Lexus”) conceit, especially since it’s coupled with, perhaps, a new high bar in pretentious description of “concept”. And, damn if I can get used to a menu with a “Quarter Plate” section. I’m assuming that their “no cash” policy will soon be re-visited?

Okay, now back to Mongo’s “chickens of India” tour.

Globalization - short rib for two @ mishiguene @ lexus, short rib for two @ o pedro @ lexus.