greenspace

Foxface

Looking forward to visiting. Hopefully in the next week or two, we'll venture into Manhattan.

Our boudin noir starting tomorrow. A very local creation with apples, blood and meat coming from NJ, and onions from NY (spices from who knows where, obviously). No fillers.

• Like 1

When I was at college in Bristol, many pubs served black pudding in a soft roll with nothing but a thick slice of raw onion. For your consideration.

Best sandwich I ever made as a teenager: On pumpernickel - peanut butter, anchovies, raw red onion and chopped hard-boiled egg. Absolutely delicious!!!

Used both smooth and crunchy PB with equal success.

When I was at college in Bristol, many pubs served black pudding in a soft roll with nothing but a thick slice of raw onion. For your consideration.

That's not far from my ideal, but I think we'll add some navet confit, and pickle the onion out of consideration for gentler public sensibilities. 

Would feel weird to write about Ori and Sivan’s food. Of course it’s good. The house’s green hot sauce too, and chili that’s actually subtle (the smoky peppers).

But was reminded too how wild this place is: the creaky old bar, the American gangster tourists, the very off off Broadway theater. Quite the palace of fun.

Did you know that Navet Confit is the name of a French Canadian indie rock band?

(And from their wiki, it's candied turnip?)

Bien sur. There's a wide range of interpretation, but it wouldn't surprise your Parisian friends if you'd take turnips, peel them twice if using a peeler (because inside the obvious peel there is another layer that stands up to cooking more than the rest of the turnip), cube them and then simmer / sauté with butter, water and some sugar until nicely confited. (or in our case with apple, duck fat, and a bit of paprika)

I went twice this weekend. Obviously, the sandwiches are good as hell. I'm really excited to have a place walking distance from my apartment where I can get an excellent sandwich and a beer for $20.

:wub:

I'm thinking of making pozole next week as I have a bag of beautiful blue maíz pozolero waiting to be nixtamalized. Not sure if there's a market for it, but then I wasn't sure about blood sausage and it seems to be going very well. 

• Like 1