Good luck, Orik. I hope for all our sakes, the risk profile improves sooner than later.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tomorrow after lunch rush.    Nice infograph about our sandwiches in an Israeli publication.  

Guess who came to dinner?

how much will you be paying wilfrid to not post pictures of your sandwiches on instagram?

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The Pastrami was great, and so foolproof that even I managed to not fuck it up. I also was feeling creative last night and added a 1/4 ounce of the habanero hot sauce to a mezcal margarita -- it worked really well. First time I've made a cocktail at home in years and I surprised myself. Desperate times...

Thanks! Giving reheating instructions is a new experience, although honestly it's pretty nice cold as well. :) 

This week we're starting to work on our marketplace - mostly meat and dairy as there's still no produce from this season at the farms we work with, hopefully at least some stuff will start coming in next week. I also hope to start offering retail access (at better than retail prices) to some of the high end vendors, but I'll need to educate people on the unpredictability of the supply chain. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

A softshell crab sandwich, before the bears get me. It's very good! It's also only my second takeout meal since the before-times, so I'm very glad it's very good.

IMG_4420.JPG.78e4aa7067fc0b409cee6d1360c84ce5.JPG

Thank you!

It's been a wild and weird few weeks - first everyone got done with home cooking and just wanted sandwiches again. Then Saint Mark's Place decided the plague was over and we had hundreds of people drinking on the street, until last Sunday where some big, scary, totally not defunded state troopers walked down the street forcing each bar to sign a blanket confession that they're promoting mass congregation in violation of the law - apparently this will allow the state to just shut them down on the spot whenever it feels like. 

Just a week later and we're told that as of Monday we can offer sidewalk seating based on a plan that we'll submit via a website that is yet to materialize. I foresee great confusion.

8 minutes ago, Orik said:

forcing each bar to sign a blanket confession that they're promoting mass congregation in violation of the law

What the fuck? This isn't like serving alcohol to a drunk potential driver. Your alternative is to try to chase recent customers away from the front of your establishment, which will definitely not cause any problems, no sir.

Yup. I think the issue is that the SLA is pretty much autonomous and is motivated to maximize consumption (as long as taxes are paid) and the NYPD is on strike for all intents and purposes, so Cuomo had to use state police and DOH. 

1 hour ago, small h said:

What the fuck? This isn't like serving alcohol to a drunk potential driver. Your alternative is to try to chase recent customers away from the front of your establishment, which will definitely not cause any problems, no sir.

I would still definitely bet on Sivan in any such encounter.

11 minutes ago, Orik said:

Yup. I think the issue is that the SLA is pretty much autonomous and is motivated to maximize consumption (as long as taxes are paid) and the NYPD is on strike for all intents and purposes, so Cuomo had to use state police and DOH. 

Kind of reminds me of the dilemma described here, in that non-police are asked to police, and are damned if they do/don't.

10 hours ago, small h said:

Kind of reminds me of the dilemma described here, in that non-police are asked to police, and are damned if they do/don't.

That was my first thought as well. 

Can I just sing the praises of the Iberico morcilla, cured and ready to eat? It's incredible. One of the best sausages in that category I've ever eaten. I always order a surtido of embotidos at La Pineda when I'm in Barcelona. It's been doing these things since 1930. This sausage would be a star in that assortment.

It's more giving and gentler to chew than a typical dry sausage, but the real impact comes from wave after wave of rich flavor. What is going on, I am pretty sure, is that the very high fat content is clinging to your hard and soft palates, allowing an ongoing release of flavor compounds up your olfactory spout.

Simple terms? A sausage with a very long finish.

Are you going to get some more?