• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tomorrow after lunch rush.    Nice infograph about our sandwiches in an Israeli publication.  

Guess who came to dinner?

how much will you be paying wilfrid to not post pictures of your sandwiches on instagram?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

The marinated toro was potentially the best piece of fish I've ever put in my mouth. I think Sivan said it was marinated in red wine and sake? I was pretty drunk by then.

Red wine and soy. A recipe from Hokkaido where it's sometimes also done with blue cheese. This week we also got mackerel from Maine, easily the best I've seen outside Japan and Spain. Being individually bled it is also as expensive as the bluefin tuna but there's nothing that can please me more than selling whole mackerel to Nyc and getting back plates of bones.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Orik said:

Red wine and soy. A recipe from Hokkaido where it's sometimes also done with blue cheese. This week we also got mackerel from Maine, easily the best I've seen outside Japan and Spain. Being individually bled it is also as expensive as the bluefin tuna but there's nothing that can please me more than selling whole mackerel to Nyc and getting back plates of bones.

Reminds me pre-pandemic.  We were at Cervo's, he had just gotten mackerel (probably not the stuff you got, but still nice and fresh, well-handled), and when I ordered it, he told me that I was probably the only person willing to deal with it - he got back a plate of bones. 

9 hours ago, Orik said:

From the gulf of maine guys? Bummer they don't ship retail.

Yes. I'm working on what will probably be the first bluefin mojama this side of the Atlantic, and really trying hard to get them to process tuna hearts for me to cure. 

image.thumb.png.4c3d04e8c6054839d8025b2c44248497.png

Had 2 lovely sandwiches yesterday - both the halibut (aka Péché Mignon) and the Smoking Fox. Brought 'em home, and they were delicious. Also not cut perfectly in half, so I got the two bigger halves 😂 - even though one was only by 3 grams.

Got some tarragon vinegar and some Special Edition Hot Sauce as well. Proprietors nowhere to be found! 

That was our day off that was supposed to be Tuesday, after it was supposed to be last Tuesday. I'm happy to say we only spent some of it at the avenue a construction site. 

Be careful with that hot sauce.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Orik said:

Thanks for the warning - I like to let Significant Eater test these things out first.  She spent a lot of time in New Mexico with lots of chiles. 

Interestingly, I've been increasing the heat levels on my Szechuan cooking - the last Mapo I made (2 nights ago) was crazy. The corn alongside really helped mellow things out, both with sweetness and corniness. But stupidly, I forgot to wear gloves when dealing with the fresh Thai chiles I had - and my hands were burning for hours.

I use gloves and a mask while making these and still end up getting burns right where the gloves end.

We got more of that great tuna and uni from Maine. This week (from tomorrow, too late today) I'm going to try and serve the spine as a scrape-your-own dish like they do in Izakaya. Maybe I'll be able to add the bone "marrow" as well.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, Orik said:

That was our day off that was supposed to be Tuesday, after it was supposed to be last Tuesday. I'm happy to say we only spent some of it at the avenue a construction site. 

On 9/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, joethefoodie said:

Thanks for the warning - I like to let Significant Eater test these things out first.  She spent a lot of time in New Mexico with lots of chiles. 

Oh , it's hot!  But it's an interesting heat, real front of tongue as opposed to burning on the way down. Tempered by the delicious fruit - good stuff.

Thanks. Stopping the yeast right when there's still fruitiness but very little sugar is tricky but I'm getting the hang of it. 

I think we'll wrap up outdoor dining in two weeks as it seems silly to invest in heating just for the month. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, their dinner service is kind of spectacular.

Orik will not want it to be said this way, but it's like back to the heyday of NBC, where you got this extremely well-sourced and -prepared stuff (although FF is sourced even better:  in fact, their raw materials are astonishing) in unprepossessing surroundings.  Now, of course, the surroundings are unprepossessing because circumstances so dictate (eating in the street in St. Marks Place is about as unprepossessing as you can get).  But I'm glad to read Orik saying that they're probably abandoning Michelin pretenses in the layout of their upcoming indoor restaurant:  I think this food is simply more enjoyable in simple unassuming digs.

The toro and uni is as good as everybody says.  You just don't get uni that good at most places.  And, yeah, that marinated toro . . . .

I really loved the Mar y Montanya.  Yeah the (great) shrimp (really those shrimp are fantastic) and the cuttlefish -- but it was the meatballs, the lightest you could imagine, that pushed it over the top.

Not wanting us to miss it, Sivan sent us out an order of kangaroo "schnitzel" (COMP DISCLSOURE alert).  I was wary of ordering a schnitzel (or even a "schnitzel") from so notorious a schnitzel-hater as Orik.  (It's a "schnitzel" rather than a schnitzel because it's lightly dusted with breading rather than deeply fried in it.)  Another amazing dish.  Unlike other kangaroo I've had (how often do you get to type that clause?), this was not dry or chewy in the least bit.  To the contrary, it was remarkably tender.  Although the menu didn't say so, maybe this was Wagyu kangaroo, spending its time lying around getting massaged rather than building up lean muscle tissue hopping about.

What's more, an amazing thing happened.  My date, who had just moved from vegetarianism to pescetarianism (we were there because she'd asked me where the best place was for her to try uni), decided she couldn't forego the opportunity to try kangaroo if it was sitting right in front of her!  Another blow for culinary freedom struck by Sivan and Orik!

It's not even worth mentioning how good the tight wine program is.

I don't know how much longer they're going to be doing this.  Just go.

If I knew this was going to be a gateway meat I'd have sent out a full portion. 

We still don't know how long we'll keep this up as the city has of course failed to deliver its promised heating and setup rules for winter, and as it's really not the easiest thing to do from that kitchen. We'll see (also it depends on when the SLA approves the license on Ave A, obviously) 

Thank you for coming!