• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m speechless.

The bees survived https://www.messynessychic.com/2019/04/18/did-the-rooftop-bees-of-notre-dame-survive/

Horrible business. I'm also feeling a bit torn that I never tried to brave the line to enter.   As far as rebuilding, here's an interesting article about a historian that made a complete laser scan

I wonder what sort of restoration will occur and how long it will be before we can climb the stairs again.

i am hearing that the current restoration efforts may have sparked the fire

Restoration of old, gigantic wooden buildings are really dangerous to the buildings.

Last week, we chose not to go in, simply because of the lines.We've been in a few times before.  But I did remark to Sig Eater about how much damn scaffolding the building was covered in. Gargoyles, bells, and assorted ephemera were littering the inside grounds.  Mostly the back half was covered, see in the 2nd picture a little of it.

EnJrVEI.jpg?2

BYaRC4a.jpg?3

There's plenty of retail garbage right across the street!

I wonder what sort of restoration will occur and how long it will be before we can climb the stairs again.

i am hearing that the current restoration efforts may have sparked the fire

Restoration of old, gigantic wooden buildings are really dangerous to the buildings.

Last week, we chose not to go in, simply because of the lines.We've been in a few times before.  But I did remark to Sig Eater about how much damn scaffolding the building was covered in. Gargoyles, bells, and assorted ephemera were littering the inside grounds.  Mostly the back half was covered, see in the 2nd picture a little of it.

EnJrVEI.jpg?2

BYaRC4a.jpg?3

There's plenty of retail garbage right across the street!

we didn't go in either this last time. the lines were stupid. some relics were removed a few days ago. it's holy monday, perhaps this is a sign

When N and I were in Paris in 2014, it was Easter weekend so all of Europe was off work and school for the holiday, and needless to say the lines were crazy, as other people have noted.  So we didn't go in.  Maybe we should have braved the lines, but who could have imagined?

Horrible business. I'm also feeling a bit torn that I never tried to brave the line to enter.

As far as rebuilding, here's an interesting article about a historian that made a complete laser scan of Notre Dame:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150622-andrew-tallon-notre-dame-cathedral-laser-scan-art-history-medieval-gothic/

• Like 1

Notre Dame will surely outlive us all.  It will be rebuilt.  Will it take 10 years or 50?  European construction can take decades.  Witness how long the construction of Sagrada Familia is taking.  Still, it is presently a great loss.

Years ago while I was working at St John the Devine with a blowtorch this was my nightmare.

Do you remember the fire at St. John the Devine some years ago that was due to work?

Yes, that is why I was there. I was removing the pipe organ so it could be renovated, partially for to the fire. I was using the blowtorch to break apart solder joints in the windlines. They were too close to the wood baseboards for comfort