until 2016, grand cafe in s. minneapolis was a solid neighbourhood spot. i ate there one time with friends, liked my meal but mostly liked that the restaurant was not charging outrageous prices for food that was decent but nothing very special. a little after that there were big changes at the restaurant. new chefs moved in: jamie malone and erik anderson, a pair of local darlings who had been rumoured to be opening their own restaurant for years. the menu moved in a far more haute direction and prices went up. eventually anderson left to helm coi in san francisco, leaving malone in charge. the restaurant has continued to receive plaudits, and malone was recently nominated for a james beard award (for the little that's worth). and so we finally decided to check it out. we ate dinner there this past saturday and thought it was the best fine dining meal we'd had in the cities for a while. herewith the details.

grand-cafe-chicken.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

until 2016, grand cafe in s. minneapolis was a solid neighbourhood spot. i ate there one time with friends, liked my meal but mostly liked that the restaurant was not charging outrageous prices for fo

yes, but what is the relevance of those memories to a discussion of current twin cities fine dining?   also, where on the grand cafe website are you seeing a menu item called "hot sampler"? 

the vibe at grand cafe was very much not that. who knows, maybe it had something to do with the fact that 3 of the 4 in our party are not white, but i don't think so. there was a performative quality

i do hope you realize that the restaurants that still inform your sense of twin cities fine dining have their analogues in new york too. meanwhile, the menus of the places that have sprung up in the last decade or so are mostly indistinguishable from their new american peers in new york.

I thought it was clear, but if it wasn't, I am talking about my experiences from the late 90s.  (Which are still seared into my soul.)

But I did think it was funny that Grand Cafe has a menu item called "hot sampler."