Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

GQ Best New Restaurants

I thought this year's survey by Brett Martin was well-written and entertaining.  You'd have to travel much more than I already do (and I don't want to) to know if the selection is good, but I enjoyed the division of the restaurants into three categories: Refuge, Resistance, and Derangement.

https://www.gq.com/story/best-new-restaurants-in-america-2019

• Like 1

TL:DR 

I need a list.. i have the attention span of a humming bird.. anywhere i can go to tonight?

• Like 1

You need to go somewhere that can be reached by the M14D bus.  That will allow time to read the article.

AlewifeRichmond: A homey house of seafood where the mid-Atlantic meets the South.

AnglerSan Francisco: The great American fish house, refracted through the mind of Joshua Skenes.

Big KingProvidence: Small and strange Japanese spot in the smallest and sometimes strangest state.

Cafe La TrovaMiami: A legendary Cuban bartender and an award-winning Miami chef make a splash on Calle Ocho.

Georgia JamesHouston: The Texas steak house re-invented—for ballers and nibblers alike.

Henry at Life Hotel by JJNew York City: A swaggering ride through the cuisines of the African diaspora—from Senegal to Harlem and all stops in between.

HomerSeattle: Vegetable-forward, wood-fired, Middle Eastern small plates—who knew such overused words could bring such new pleasure?

IndigoHouston: A prodigy's tasting menu on the theme of African-American history is equally stimulating to mind and palate.

KyōtenChicago: Extraordinary sushi—and rare rice—from a brash budding master.

Ma'am SirLos Angeles: High-intensity Filipino flavors on Sunset Boulevard.

NightshadeLos AngelesTop Chef winner Mei Lin walks a tightrope between comfort and thrills in DTLA.

Shabushabu MACORONNew York City: Where a simple cooking technique is turned into art, grace, and nurture.

ViandaSan Juan, Puerto Rico: An island still recovering has a jewel to be proud of.

Good work.

There are also eight recommended dishes, including hamachi collar at St Julivert, and cod roe spaghetti at Davelle in New York.  Also smoked rabbit carnitas at The Brewer's Table in Austin, and I just happen to be in Austin week after next.

I'm going to see if I can get into Indigo in early June when I'm back in Houston.

oh cool, i have a chef buddy who is about to leave a super fancy nyc place and open something down in richmond.. i will have two places to visit now. 

thats neat how spread out the list is..   though, nothing out f New Orleans, Minnesota, Charleston, Las Vegas and one NYC..   

thats neat how spread out the list is..   though, nothing out f ... Minnesota...

don't tell dara grumdahl and msp magazine...

no Grill Room?

I'm going to be in Miami next week, maybe I'll try that Cuban place. Unless there's something better to eat there, I really don't know.