• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 or 30 years ago, I'd agree.   I just feel things have changed dramatically here. And yeah, it's all about seasons and what product you're talking about. And the freshness of said product.   Sho

I actually think you need to do way more research (on your own - stop asking us) to find NYC restaurants with fair French and Spanish wine prices. Especially if you feel fair French and Spanish wine p

Crown Shy is very nice. The white beans with nduja (granted there is some version of this on every menu everywhere in the country), carrots with razor clams, tagliatelle with sungolds was excellent,

Methinks if you ate in Europe as often as you ate in the USA, you would find the same variances.

I've eaten in just about all the so-called best restaurants of the Northeastern U.S. over the last 20 or 30 years -- many of which I like(d) quite a lot -- and I've never found one that has the ingredient quality of a middling restaurant in France, Spain, Italy, etc.  Not one.  (Franny's was closest.)

I guess what I'm trying to say in that last post is that if I've eaten at almost all the top restaurants here, the fact that I've only eaten at SOME top- and mid-level restaurants there and just about ALL of them have vastly superior ingredient quality to those I know here seems pretty telling.

Let me put it another way:  if the ingredient quality at Le Bernardin doesn't approach the quality at some random mid-tier place in Madrid or San Sebastian (and I'm not denying there are mediocre and even bad places in Madrid and even, I guess, San Sebastian), how many more places in Spain do you have to eat in to conclude that the best of the N.E. U.S.A. is solidly inferior in terms of ingredient quality?

20 or 30 years ago, I'd agree.

I just feel things have changed dramatically here. And yeah, it's all about seasons and what product you're talking about. And the freshness of said product.

Show me great white corn in Europe.  Or line caught striped-bass, eaten the same day it's caught.  Or Long Island little necks. We can certainly find exceptions to your blanket statements.

I mean, I go to the farmer's market 2 or 3 times a week here in the summer.  And by doing so, I think I'm buying some pretty high-quality ingredients. It might not be the farmer's market in Citta di Castello for spigarello, but you get the gist.

AndI was up on the cape earlier this summer, eaten freshly caught black sea bass, freshly dug and/or dived for scallops and razor clams. They were easily the match for, well, similar products I've had in San Sebastian. They're just different.

• Like 2