• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may have up to four dinner opportunities in Chicago in June, although the number will probably dwindle.  I liked The Girl and the Goat last year.  Any suggestions welcome.  Preferably within reach o

We just returned. Fine cocktails at Kumiko. Do not bother with the omakase and food pairings in the basement restaurant - Kikko. Acadia, Oriole, the Bellemore if you have time, inclination, can get re

We will be dining, this evening, at Publican Tavern, in Terminal 3 at O’Hare. Looks lovely.   Our flight home from Seattle yesterday could not be non-stop as originally booked, since AA had to remo

My favorite as per john stewart "its an above ground pool for rats"  

But, really, I like chicago deep dish pizza.. I mean, the two can't compare.. it's like comparing pie and cake.. Both desserts but, yeh, they are worlds apart.  I like cheese, sauce and sausage and butter..   But, there's a long wait for your food.. it's a whole thing, not just a grab a slice and go.. 

I haven't been to Chicago in many moons, but if I were going and I had a car, I'd head to the 'burbs and find some Japanese restaurants. There's a relatively large expat community in the suburbs, and I've been told there are some excellent restaurants.

I think daniel is right that bayless and alinea are the only things that really stood out for me. if you were me I’d tell you (joe and wilfrid) to go to three floyds, but I wonder if I’d like it at this point.

I definitely have eaten at Topolobampo, but like in another lifetime (1994). I was working for a Silicon Valley video game company, which had acquired Stern Electronics' pinball division, and in '94 it was sold off to Sega. I was there to help with the shutdown of the factory.

Sega eventually sold the pinball division back to Gary Stern. It was a tangled web.

Stern still makes pinball machines.

So I actually was in Chicago for a month in early-mid April, 1994. Bayless is the one place I remember, though there was some good steak and classic Italian in there, I'm sure.

There’s actually a pretty good Chinatown there. You have the guy who started the Lao Sze Chuan Tony Hu who should have a movie made of his life. His places are decent now but there are some good places. Go 4 food is good Cantonese.

There is thriving Indian scene, if you head out to like way passed the airport on Devon.

Money gun is a fun late night spot

I should also add. There is a mc Donald’s there, that is their international or flagship location. They have menus from around the world there. I have been meaning to go. You also have rich bayless at O’Hare airport. I haven’t been in a few years, maybe a couple but, it is good and worth stopping at, if you are hungry at the airport.

Also, you have Bonci pizza in Chicago.

Where are you staying. There are a lot of well priced air bnb’s in the new faux luxury apartment complexes with foreign apartment owners, filled with gyms and coffee shops that are cheap and clean, soulless and charmless but, gives you that Ed Norton pre-breakdown Fight Club feeling.  I swear sometimes when I stay in these newly built air bnb buildings, i feel like I am in this like post apocalyptic world, where I am the last person on earth, yet still has to go to work in the morning... But, it may be fun to vacation in one of those, you will have a building all to yourself.  

Deep-dish pizza is barely even food.

Funny story about that - a few years ago a deep dish place opened down in Playa del Carmen, and after about the hundredth person told us it was the best thing ever, we went. Amazingly, it was much better than any deep dish we had in Chicago, and after making it through the 5,000 calories of it I asked the owner what's going on and he told me, quietly, that lard, lard is what's going on.

I forget the name of the place where we had really good Birria, but it's one of the consensus places which I'm guessing are all good. 

Going the week of Thanksgiving, spending only 2 nights in Chicago, a night in Madison, a night in Milwaukee, another final night in Chicago. We're actually staying in hotels as opposed to airbnbs, since it's shorter stays.

Also, you have Bonci pizza in Chicago.

This kinda interests me; especially why he chose Chicago over NYC; perhaps people there are more used to his style, which actually has nada to do with deep dish, only sorta looks the same thickness and has a lot of stuff on top (and this picture is making me hungry):

nEdFQNn.jpg

I think the international thing at McDonalds is going on currently at many locations, at least per some of the commercials I've seen while watching the Tour. But I haven't set foot in one of those places in a really long time, and don't plan on starting any time soon, even for research purposes.

Thanks...keep 'em coming!

We will be dining, this evening, at Publican Tavern, in Terminal 3 at O’Hare. Looks lovely.

Our flight home from Seattle yesterday could not be non-stop as originally booked, since AA had to remove the Max planes from service and decided to not replace their non connecting flights from/to NYC. So, instead of us knowing of the weather alert/cancellations into NYC from the comfort of Seattle & spending another pleasant day there, we went off (obliviously) to O’Hare, only to get off the plane and discover that all flights to NYC were kaput. One hour to retrieve our luggage so that we could go to a hotel, instead of staying on the cots they volunteered to set up somewhere in the terminal (that would’ve been fun, but Ginny said no) & then transport to the local Hampton Inn (beds were, of course, scarce in the area, but I’m a Hilton Gold Member (whopee!) & it finally paid off. AA tried to put us on a 1 stop today, leaving at 8:15am, connecting somewhere with a 3 hour lag, then getting us home around 7pm, but we werent going for it, so they found us a non stop to Newark this evening at 8:30pm. Be home, hopefully by 1am. Meanwhile, I got time to write this (& other) notes, make phone calls and otherwise catch up on reading today. We’re not even going into the city. Turns out Hampton Inn has late check out (1pm) and comfy couches w/wi-fi. Did I mention that my Gold Member perks include unlimited coffee, water and even a chocolate chip cookie?

But, as I said, we’ll have a lovely dinner at Publican Tavern, #2 on Eater.com’s listing of where to eat at O’Hare. Maybe I’ll write up a review.

• Like 1