The top of the stove kettle I have been using to pour for my french press coffee maker has rusted. Obviously it was not all stainless steel. :-(

Too bad because I really love this kettle.  It is the perfect size, heats fast, comfortable to hold, has a slim gooseneck spout that pours nicely and gently into my small french press coffee maker.

Some I have browsing are pretty high priced - upwards of 40, 50 bucks. Before I pay that kind of money I wanted to find if anyone else uses one of these and how is it working out?

Mine was similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-VKB-120HSV-Stainless-Stovetop-Original/dp/B000IGOXLS/ref=asc_df_B000IGOXLS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135614232&hvpos=1o13&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16009555923120930456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001882&hvtargid=pla-310773923000&psc=1

I used that exact one for a long time. the upside is it’s very easy to control the pour and it fit my hand well. I had to heat the water in a saucepan because water would come out of the top and spout when it boiled over unless it was less than half full.

a lot of the amazon reviews mention inferior versions made it china, I don’t think that was an issue when I bought mine in 2012.

• Like 1

I have an electric kettle with that kind of spout. The Bonavita that I have is only $35 on Amazon, and the one with variable temperature control is $45. I've had it for several years, and there has been no rusting, but I always empty it of unused water and let it dry between uses.

I've had a Hario for years; no rust.

So - why not just buy a new Hario?

@aaronS - that occasionally (the boil over) happens when I've got a full pot of water; have they always offered the 1.2 liter size,  because that would solve a problem. Usually I'm ready to pour before the water boils anyway.

Re: electric kettle; some of us don't have the countertop real estate for that.

• Like 1

Any reason why stovetop kettle? Electric kettles take a fraction of the time.

Trying to minimize appliances on the counter top. The kettle has become part of the stove top because it is used all the time. I guess counter real estate over time.

I've had a Hario for years; no rust.

So - why not just buy a new Hario?

@aaronS - that occasionally (the boil over) happens when I've got a full pot of water; have they always offered the 1.2 liter size,  because that would solve a problem. Usually I'm ready to pour before the water boils anyway.

Re: electric kettle; some of us don't have the countertop real estate for that.

I would but the reviews keep talking about this new chinese make with bad design and material. Online shopping is so stressful.

you need that kind of spout to make pour overs.

Not really--I do pour overs (Melitta filter and Chemex) just fine with our electric temperature-controlled kettle.

Isn't the me Melitta cone shaped with a large surface? The French press is a cylinder, and mine is a 2 cup one so a slim cylinder. The spout works best.. 

you need that kind of spout to make pour overs.

Not really--I do pour overs (Melitta filter and Chemex) just fine with our electric temperature-controlled kettle.

Isn't the me Melitta cone shaped with a large surface? The French press is a cylinder, and mine is a 2 cup one so a slim cylinder. The spout works best.. 

maybe buy one of the open box harios from amazon. i pour into my 2 cup and 8 cup french presses straight from my zojirushi water boiler (it has a slow button) and it comes out fine but if you like the spout best open box from amazon is the way to go. you'll save $15

• 1 year later...

IMG_3239.thumb.jpeg.8e23f0b65a890c265f24662df8f476e9.jpeg

Just got these to play around with, after I broke my millionth Hario carafe. Of course, considering they are glass...

I'd heard from a pretty respected coffee person that they make a nice cup, nowhere near as "muddy" (for want of a better word) as French press can be, but with more body than a paper filter offers.  I'd never had much luck, nor liked metal or the "gold" filters, much preferred paper.

But I have to say, after brewing a few cups with these, the filters are great, and the cup is very nice.

Reason for two - free shipping level reached, of course.

COFFEE GATOR