Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

Once Upon a Time .... in Hollywood (spoilers)

The year is 1969.  The place is Hollywood.  The run time is 2 hours 41 minutes.  Whether you like Tarantino (count me in) or you loathe him, there is so much in this to contemplate.   Performances by old actors (among them Clu Gulagher, Bruce Dern).  Performances by aging actors.  Performances by young actors.  A focus on feet.  The whole Manson Family craziness.  Great music from the period (a generous dose of Mamas and Papas and Paul Revere and the Raiders).  Tarantino's treatment of women.  Margot Robbie's slight dialogue.  The recreation/preservation of Hollywood, 1969.  A lot of amazing neon.  A recreation of Pandora's Box for just a fleeting instant (cf. "For What It's Worth").  (And, yes, Sneak, Musso & Frank makes it.)  The Playboy Mansion.  Old movies from the period.  Old cars.  Old 50s and 60s television series.  Old TVs. Old ads (real and imagined).  A golden age of film that seems to be being overtaken by digital media (alas).  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

• Like 1

Some serious notes on the production and what went into it.  https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/how-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-recreated-1969-los-angeles.html

It would be interesting to compare the Hollywood Boulevard and other street scenes in this picture with the street scenes in Mazursky's underappreciated "Alex in Wonderland" (1970).  I believe the Supply Sergeant sign appears in both, for example, though it's been gone for years.

Apparently he is 90.  Perhaps Tarantino cast him and Brenda Vaccaro and others to enable them to keep up their SAG insurance?

SPOILER ALERT:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I should have known better because it's Tarantino, but I spent a good deal of time worrying that he was actually going to show the real Cielo Drive murders.  So, what he did show was fairly cathartic.

Really good movie.

OK. Nobody cares, but:

America is the Stupid County, so we get the Stupid Godard. Tarantino doesn't care about anything beyond Pop Culture, so that's all we get from him. People who are smart about being ignorant congratulate themselves on movies like this, as if knowing a lot about stupid retrograde shit make you literate. And Tarantino's politics are rearguard-to-atrocious.

Don't get me wrong: it's great that a movie so intelligently put together can get a major studio release and attract a mass audience. I had a great time watching this, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a fun night out.

But, as I said in a different context, we should all leave this country. It's hopeless. The President himself says we should.

i thought it was really enjoyable, smart and interesting...   I loved the camera work, I loved the world that was created, I love how he handled Roman and Sharon.. Sharon was this sprite, almost like a ghost, she was a fuzzy memory, it was really cool.. It was played so well.. Almost how she is remembered..   I  didn't like the Bruce Lee thing, I feel there is a way they could have established Brad Pitt's character as a bad ass without shitty on his legend..   Leo and Brad are pretty much the last two major male movie stars left.   I was looking for a better sound track but, yeh, one of his best.. I will watch it a few more times... 

And Tarantino's politics are rearguard-to-atrocious.

To be clear, that's not a ground of judgment.

I prefer Rio Bravo to High Noon, even though High Noon's the one that's congruent with my political views.

I was looking for a better sound track but, yeh, one of his best.. I will watch it a few more times... 

For some reason Tarantino specified no Buffalo Springfield.

The people in this movie wouldn't have listened to Buffalo Springfield.  Note how much Paul Revere & the Raiders there was -- and at one point, one character mocks another for liking them.

I think the soundtrack was incredibly canny (as was everything about the movie).