Sneakeater

Audio Equipment

No, it only supplies the CD player (I mean, it COULD supply the pre-amp, if the pre-amp were compatible) (which mine isn't).

I think the point is that separating out the power supply enables it to be bigger, of a higher quality, and more isolated. Which impacts sound.

But that's not the real point.  The manufacturer's intent here is to provide an easy upgrade path.  You can buy a very good product at a certain price point, and then a few years later make it better with an additional cash outlay (an amount you might not have wanted to spend when you bought the product at the outset).

Let me put it this way: a couple of years after I got my last CD player, the manufacturer offered an internal power supply upgrade. Before pulling the trigger on the upgrade, I auditioned modified v. unmodified versions of the CD player at a store. The difference was NOT subtle.  So, yes, with CD players the power supply somehow matters.

These guys just make that kind of upgrade easier:  instead of having to ship my CD player back to them and then wait a few weeks while they replace the power supply (as I did when I upgraded my last CD player), I simply buy the external supply and hook it up.

So I think the point here is that the external power supply is higher-quality than the built-in one, not that it's external.  (Although I'm sure that isolating the power supply does provide additional benefits.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/magazine/neil-young-streaming-music.html

“But Young hears something creepier and more insidious in the new music too. We are poisoning ourselves with degraded sound, he believes, the same way that Monsanto is poisoning our ...

Bless you, I can tell Charles Shaar Murray’s joke again. If Neil Young cares that much, why can’t he keep his guitar in tune?

I have a cassette deck, yes, as part of my audio stack, but the door is jammed. Anyone know where I could get it fixed, or should I just forget about cassettes and dump it?

Screwdriver, then it's the little thingie that senses a tape inside needs some love almost every time, or a spring is broken the rest of the time. (all assuming it's not a fancy player with motors doing the hard work of opening the door for you)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/magazine/neil-young-streaming-music.html

“But Young hears something creepier and more insidious in the new music too. We are poisoning ourselves with degraded sound, he believes, the same way that Monsanto is poisoning our ...

Bless you, I can tell Charles Shaar Murray’s joke again. If Neil Young cares that much, why can’t he keep his guitar in tune?

https://youtu.be/6j2I0TAG5ow

Screwdriver, then it's the little thingie that senses a tape inside needs some love almost every time, or a spring is broken the rest of the time. (all assuming it's not a fancy player with motors doing the hard work of opening the door for you)

I am not competent.

Because I know you all care, now that my external power supply has broken in, I sit there and can't believe how good it all sounds.  Orchestral music in particular has an immediate presence, blended with detail -- especially clear independent bass -- that's just sort of overwhelming.

So all of us live-performance devotees are now forced to listen to live streams and such from our computers at home.  My desktop is in a different room from my main audio system, so even if I could stream YouTube/Twitch/Zoom/Facebook into my main system (which I probably can, even if I'm not sure exactly how), it would sound odd, coming from a different room from where I'm watching the image.  But the sound from my computer's built-in speakers is inadequate -- and so is the sound of most outboard "computer" speakers.

So I bought a pair of Audioengine HD6s to connect to my computer.  These are powered speakers, with a built-in 50 WPC A/B amp and what sounds like a very high-quality DAC.  Build quality is excellent, the speaker parts (manufactured by Audioengine rather than sourced) are excellent (5.5" Kevlar woofer; 1" silk dome tweeter with a ferrofluid-cooled coil).

Wow.  It's weird to have something approaching "real" sound coming from my computer.  I initially hooked them up to my computer's headphone jack with the included 3.5 mm/3.5 mm cable.  But then I got a good-quality 3.5 mm to TOSLINK cable, so the headphone jack on my desktop could connect to the optical input on the speakers.  Holy shit.  What started out as surprisingly good sound turned into objectively excellent sound.  I mean, excellent.  The detail is like, through the roof.

These speakers are tuned exactly the way you'd expect relatively small speakers to be.  The bass is tight but not deep.  The midrange is emphasized; there's a roll-off in the highs.  If this were my main listening system, I'd find that just not good enough.  But in a secondary system, it's what I expect.  I'm more amazed at how good these speakers are within their parameters.  (Let me remind you once more about that detail.)

$700 (plus the cost of the 3.5 mm-to-optical cable) is a lot of money for a pair of speakers to hook up to your computer.  But if you're someone like me, you might find this even an even better Quarantine buy than all those wild mushrooms.

One thing I'll also say about these speakers.  Everybody says they're too big to use near-field as desktop speakers; you should instead put them, they say, on bookshelves or some other surface a bit away from you.

Now I'm lucky enough to have a big wide desk at home -- but still these speakers are placed at most two feet from me on either side.

And let me tell you something:  they sound excellent.

Ok sneak if you were trying to figure out what to do in a house what would you do.  Music is the low (no?) loss tier of a streaming service. I probably need an a/v solution as well.

My current setup is a pair of reasonably priced active monitors with a Chromecast audio as the source/dac.

I estimate I need a three incremental rooms

I'll probably put my current setup in my office.

I spent all day thinking about this, and I've ended up thinking I'm not the guy to give advice on this.

I know a lot about standard stereo systems -- which almost no one wants anymore.

I know about the (kinda stupidly expensive) workarounds I employed to make my standard stereo system play downloads stored on my desktop, and to get good sound out of my desktop directly.  But  multi-room stuff is beyond me (I still haven't been able to figure out how to get my bedside clock radio/CD player, which is nominally hooked up to my WIFi network, to play downloads stored on my desktop*).  And I know NOTHING about A/V.

One thing I'll tell you:  you're gonna think a Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 AX6000 Meshnet router (1 or 2 satellites depending on your house's configuration -- 1 was plenty for my apartment, but you might need 2 for your suburban mansion) is too expensive -- but it's WORTH IT.

* If I can revert to Old Man Shaking Fist At Cloud mode for a minute, it really pisses me off that gear now comes with only the most scant instructions; you're expected to be able to intuit how to use it.  And when you contact the manufacturer with questions, their response is usually something to the effect of telling you to search the internet to see what other users are saying.  I don't want to sift through what other uses are saying.  I want to know how to properly operate the equipment that I paid for.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:36 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

Ok sneak if you were trying to figure out what to do in a house what would you do.  Music is the low (no?) loss tier of a streaming service. I probably need an a/v solution as well.

My current setup is a pair of reasonably priced active monitors with a Chromecast audio as the source/dac.

I estimate I need a three incremental rooms

I'll probably put my current setup in my office.

Chiming in to suggest considering the SONOS ecosystem. You can get paired speakers or use one per room, and it's a very useable interface on iOS and Android phones. Hardware is very hefty and solid and well-made and really pumps out good, balanced sound, even on the entry-level speaker. If you wanna go nuts, they offer a subwoofer too (which I can't speak to), but also options to integrate into an existing AV system with SONOS:Connect (which essentially means I can stream not only to my SONOS speakers but I've got a streaming component that plugs into my AV receiver. Can easily toggle between having the same audio stream on multiple speakers or playing something separate on each.

From a WIFI standpoint, the system sets up it's own subnetwork on your home network. Seamless plug-and-play setup. Even lossless streams don't stutter at all. (One caveat -- high resolution streaming, e.g. higher than 44.1, isn't supported. Maybe someday...?)

I mean, it's not necessarily for hyper-critical audiophile listening, but for streaming, it's really great.