Sneakeater

Mishiguene at Intersect by Lexus

This food comes from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This food comes from Germany. This food comes from Spain. This food comes from the Levant.

One place this food DOESN’T come from is France.

The food also doesn't come from Argentina, but I think there were some bottles from there  :cool:

They totally deny they used to have more main dishes — er, large plates.

I don't remember more than 4 or 5 main, large plates when we were there.

If the restaurant is kosher-certified, its foods mashup probably means several regionally exclusive rabbis have been feuding over denominational and regional religious law.

"Yes, they can serve sturgeon with polenta." "They can't serve sturgeon!" "Moses never ate polenta. I won't let them serve polenta unless you let them serve sturgeon." "OK, no polenta."

That's one large plate down.

Lovely setting, charming service, annoying music. Apart from the latter, you'd think you were in an established New York three star.

But I'm afraid I'm going to criticize the food.  Gefilte fish, as Joe pointed out above, isn't really gefilte fish.  It's a cod sausage.  More reminiscent of the Waltuck seafood sausage than gefilte fish, but much firmer. It's okay, but quite bland, and among the bewildering multi-colored dabs and dribbles on the plate, I couldn't find anything like horseradish to buck it up. 

Worse, among the multiple garnishes were two kinds of fish egg.  Both mushy.  That's unforgivable.  If fish eggs don't pop, don't serve them. I can get better fish eggs from the supermarket.

Then there was a choice of two vegetable entrees (no fish), a massive short rib meant for sharing (I saw it shared; it looked good but unforgivingly rich), a quail, or the Jerusalem Mix.

The latter features sweetbreads and chicken hearts, jumbled together, and surrounded by a piping of hummus, not unlike the piped mashed potatoes in photos from a 1950s home cookbook.  Unfortunately, both the sweetbreads and hearts were unremarkable. The former, rescued from the thatch of leaves, tomato halves, and chewy gribenes, were just sadly grey pieces of sweetbread. Not badly cooked, but not interesting. Char them?  Flour and crisp them?  Do something with them. The chicken hearts, similarly naked of any particular treatment, were lukewarm.

This is a $46 plate, and it's not good enough. (Although the check, thanks to the no tipping policy, was smaller than expected.)

The wines were enjoyable.

Exactly my impression of the offal. Also I don't think Hummus belongs with that flavor profile.