Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Tejal Rao Throws California "Luxury" Dining Under the Bus

Sublime.    I remember years ago when husband and I had to "interview" for an apartment.  The owner of the jewel box apartment building lived next door in a 3 story, very elegant mid-1800s octagonal Victorian.    We entered a kind of drawing room with only several chairs and a couple of side tables.    "No furniture!   This guy is really property poor!" I thought.    Then, as I sat and really took in the room, I realized that it was perfectly furnished.    Everything in balance, no excess, just great lines in both architecture and furnishings.    I learned something but was never able to pull off that level of elegant restraint.

Well, of course.  Only the nouveau riche (those insecure about their wealth) show it off ostentatiously.  Old money is very quiet.

Sublime.    I remember years ago when husband and I had to "interview" for an apartment.  The owner of the jewel box apartment building lived next door in a 3 story, very elegant mid-1800s octagonal Victorian.    We entered a kind of drawing room with only several chairs and a couple of side tables.    "No furniture!   This guy is really property poor!" I thought.    Then, as I sat and really took in the room, I realized that it was perfectly furnished.    Everything in balance, no excess, just great lines in both architecture and furnishings.    I learned something but was never able to pull off that level of elegant restraint.

Well, of course.  Only the nouveau riche (those insecure about their wealth) show it off ostentatiously.  Old money is very quiet.

ae1055f8-18e0-4d35-9661-053b0ee1970b_w78

We're not talking quiet. We're talking austere.    Bare.   Paired to the essential bones of room and furniture.    Startling in its effectiveness.