Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Why Do We Travel?

Do we need more controversy? Dining is an important factor but not my highest priority when i travel. So there.

Actually I really am curious. Do Most MFers choose destinations by food? Or something else?

Do we need more controversy? Dining is an important factor but not my highest priority when i travel. So there.

Actually I really am curious. Do Most MFers choose destinations by food? Or something else?

Food is always high on my (our) list; it may not be the reason we choose to go somewhere, but it's important

I am unlikely to go somewhere I expect to eat poorly, but that's not the same thing as travelling to eat.

I guess the traditional group tour genre guarantees that you expect to eat poorly everywhere.

Although there are probably exceptions, it’s hard to think of places I’m likely to go where I would have to eat poorly. I can think of places where you can eat monotonously, but not poorly. Marrakesh, for example, or some German cities where pork and sauerkraut seem inescapable.

.... I can think of places where you can eat monotonously, but not poorly. Marrakesh, for example, or some German cities where pork and sauerkraut seem inescapable.

Sometimes you get what you ask for.    Months after tourism was resumed, in the depths of winter, we spent a week in Prague.   Tourism and restaurant service were foreign concepts to them at this time, but people are people regardless of politics.    At that time, I was eating veg.   In a town and country where sausage and goulash reign, I got across that I ate no meat, but that I would happily enjoy anything else.    We became regulars at a small restaurant where the chef sent out plate after plate of joyously prepared winter vegetables.    I clapped my hands, and the next night he would turn higher somersaults.    Food memories that surpass any Michelin meals because of the love that went into them.

That’s a lovely story. Of course you can’t move for tourists now, and I did notice there were some vegan restaurants. Meat and dumplings could get monotonous, but I have a fairly high tolerance.

But I wouldn’t send anyone to Prague for the food. The beer, yes.

For let's say 20 years after the first time I went to Peru, I'd always say that no one would go there the food.

C'est la vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.

the only place i go to happily where good food is not guaranteed--and in parts of which is not at all easy to find--is scotland. but there are other compensations there.

actually, on skye, on the west coast and on islay, there was very good fish/shellfish which made up for kitchen limitations. but the speyside, the northern highlands and orkney were more depressing.

I can believe it, but I’ve had great food there too; the Stornaway black pudding, Arbroath smokies, great fresh fish in city restaurants. And of course “chips” with yellow curry sauce. But I have stayed close to urban centers.