Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Why Do We Travel?

stornaway black pudding is indeed always amazing and the haggis is also of a high standard all around scotland. but even i can't eat black pudding and haggis more than once a day. on orkney a bere bannock served with a forgettable soup was probably the highlight of my meals.

but scotland is beautiful. i'd be happy to go there with the family even if there weren't a distillery around every corner.

The key to bere bannocks is to have them with the local cheese: they somehow really come alive then. But I don’t really think of that as restaurant food. More like something you get in a market and put in your pocket while walking.

oh, i truly enjoyed that bere bannock (with butter not cheese).

i just realized i never wrote up our orkney meals. none were bad; but none were very good. 

The key to bere bannocks is to have them with the local cheese: they somehow really come alive then. But I don’t really think of that as restaurant food. More like something you get in a market and put in your pocket while walking.

Or tuck them in your sporran.

Note, I've not been to the islands, just several cities.  Some of my friends used to spend time on Islay every summer, but how much they saw or remembered I'm not sure.

Shetland Islands just OK - a few nice seafood places. Edinburgh has a number of top spots, headed by Kitchen.

Dortmund in the early 90s was a sausagefest with some very funky sauerbraten in places (maybe it's more cosmopolitan now, maybe it was then but this was a long work function without much chance to explore), but at least the beer was good. Our hosts there took us to nearby Wuppertal to ride the suspended monorail. This seemed like an odd reason to travel (to travel to travel) and only later did we learn they'd assumed there'd be cultural significance for us as the train inspired the "ideal" mode of transportation in Altneuland. Unfortunately they did not think it'd be culturally significant to take us to a Pina Bausch show instead. 

I guess you probably saw the 52 places thing in the NY Times this week...link

Quite a few comments rightly took him to task on basically not leaving the most touristy part of the city. Also half the article seems to have been cribbed from a lonely planet intro. Although, when I think about it, f**king off work on a nice day and hanging out in a Biergarten is very much what life in Munich is about...

He's at it again. He really thinks this is a problem. Sad.

First, a confession: I spent five days in Lyon, a major destination for lovers of arts and culture, during which I barely stepped foot in a major museum. My defense? The weather was too good and there was far too much to eat.

to experience Earthquakes blink.png and your building shaking ohmy.png ...

good fun ! thumbsup.png ... unless, of course, it collapses sad.png ... but Orik assured me that that's not possible ...  right ?   unsure.png   RIGHT ??

The building is only a couple of years old and was built by a good construction firm (not that it matters to you)

YOU BETTER FRICKIN' BELIEVE IT DOES !

ETA - https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70005tn2/executive