Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, that was before my (gig going) time, but I did see film of the live performances, which were insane. He could whip a crowd into hysteria. Prince's stage moves always reminded me of Bolan. ETA: Al

The Civic was a good place to catch relatively new acts.  Saw Elton, Ronstadt, the Clash, Traffic, Steve Miller, Springsteen (twice).  It used to be the path was from a club (the Troubador or the Roxy

I saw The Beatles at Romford Odeon in 1963.  I have no recollection, but my parents always claimed they took me.  There are posters for the gig online, so it was a real thing.

The Fillmore actually got an early show and a late show in, each with 3 acts.  Didn't always turn out that way though.  Led Zeppelin was the middle act under Canned Heat when they first hit the USA.  Canned Heat never took the stage at the late show.

Those are some enviable sightings.

My gig going started, I believe, with The Who at Empire Pool, Wembley as late as 1975.

My initial concert at Stony Brook (after years of the Fillmore & Central Park & Bitter End & Folk City &.....) was in 1969, when The Who performed Tommy outdoors on our main lawn.

As best I can recall, my earliest West Coast concert was at the Santa Monica Civic with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends opened by Dave Mason and then by Leon Russell.  They both then became friends with D&B (no, Eric was not present, but Delaney had the guitar moves down).

You don't wanna know that my older sister took me to see the Beatles at Shea in '64. I wish I had bought a T-shirt.

Stones - '72 at the Garden, but wish I had seen the '69 tour. A whole lot more in '71-'72, because we could drive by that time. But who remembers?

My first or second Elvis and the Attractions show was at the Santa Monica Civic, May, 1978! Played pissed off for 45 minutes, stormed off stage, cranked up the feedback, and had a fan for life.

The Civic was a good place to catch relatively new acts.  Saw Elton, Ronstadt, the Clash, Traffic, Steve Miller, Springsteen (twice).  It used to be the path was from a club (the Troubador or the Roxy or Whiskey) to the Civic to the Forum or Sports Arena to the Memorial Colisseum.  Now, it seems acts can go from one of the DTLA old theatre venues to Staples to the Rose Bowl or Dodger Stadium.

I did see Costello once in the cavernous Long Beach Arena.  In a three piece suit and still angry.

• Like 1

I saw The Beatles at Romford Odeon in 1963.  I have no recollection, but my parents always claimed they took me.  There are posters for the gig online, so it was a real thing.

• Like 1

Oh, the first pop or rock LP I ever bought with my own money, Electric Warrior. Shortly followed by the single “Telegram Sam.”

As I mentioned on Twitter, I was asked to write Bolan’s obituary by the NME, but it was re-assigned when my contemporary, the pushy and clearly needy Paul Morely, persuaded the editors that he was born for the task.

My elbows weren’t sharp enough in those days (I was a teenager). I was going to do the first press interview with Joe Jackson, but I lost that when the admittedly better known Charles Shaar Murray expressed an interest to Joe’s publicists.

Reflecting that I was younger when I started writing for the NME than my daughter is now.