We’re staying at an Air bnb in Dutchess county and the knives are so dull I almost brought them to Warren Cutlery to have them sharpened.  But they had a wustoff sharpener. I tried it. It didn’t do anything. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Edge-Pro stuff looks genuinely scary.

No, I'm one of those people with the bad knives.  I have Chad Ward's book too, so I have no excuse other than laziness/forgetfulness.

The knife butchers.

Okay.    I confess, when no one is watching, I use one of these on a couple of crap paring and short chef's knives.    They give me a good short-lived edge on knives that I have no monetary or emotional investment in.    Are they good for knives, no.   Do they eat knives, probably,    Do they give me a fast, instant edge for immediate kitchen needs, yes.    Are knives sharpened this way a delight to use, yes.   Do I give a "hoot" about any of these knives other than their "right now" use, no.   Do I  use v-sharpeners on really good knives, no.   Do I really love my really good knives, respect, yes, love, no.     My heirs will receive them and deal with their pedigreed requirements.  

I feel the same about the way some people claim to regard books. 

Books are not "your friends".  Books are TOOLS.

Write in the margins.  Leave them open on their spines.  They're just fucking BOOKS.

• Thanks 1

This thread brought to mind a vignette with a visiting Frenchman who had staged in several Michelin 3* kitchens.    I put him to work helping with dinner.   He set to his task without complaint but soon uttered a startled "Huh!"     "What's wrong?"   "Your knives are SHARP!"   Something I guess he didn't expect.    After about 15 minutes, he grinned hugely and said "I could cook in this kitchen.     Amusing because it is just a room with a stove, sink, refrigerator and large center marble-topped table, a simple set up that works for me if not for Architectural Digest.