Wilfrid1

Best Mouthfuls: Upper East Side

I like Sherry Lehman. I was there this past weekend, and the head of Chateau Pavie was there with his wines :lol: SL is going to move soon. I recently bought the Louise (vintage escapes me) gift box with two beautiful flutes, a village Guy Rulot white Burgundy, and a Ramonet Chassagne.

I like Sherry Lehman. I was there this past weekend, and the head of Chateau Pavie was there with his wines :lol: SL is going to move soon. I recently bought the Louise (vintage escapes me) gift box with two beautiful flutes, a village Guy Rulot white Burgundy, and a Ramonet Chassagne.

Cabbie, where are they moving to?

I don't recall, sorry. But it was still on the UES.

Obviously you drank too much at the tasting.

One sip of Pavie is too much in my book....

I'm surprised Pavie commands the prices it does, not that I've sampled a lot of Pavie so far. :lol:

Robert Parker's influence, I'm guessing.

The '04 Ramonets are really nice. I've had a couple btls of the Bourgogne and one Chassagne recently, and all were enjoyable.

Cabbie, where are they moving to?

Just got a mailing about this. Yes, Park Avenue, a three story space. Getting bigger like the downtown joints. Summer 2007 is the guess.

Ah, Viand, home of the fresh turkey sandwich (on white, rye, toasted, as a club, with lettuce/tomato included or on the side, any dressing?, etc....).

In the company of a shrewd expert, I broke off a walk the length of Fifth Avenue last Saturday to restore energies with one of these fat and fresh old favorites. The tiny branch of Viand, more or less opposite Barney's, was chosen, and being lunchtime we almost didn't squeeze in. Banished to the far end of the counter, however, we found picture-ready birds.

viandturkeyrw9.jpg

The turkeys are already roasted - cooked anyhow, because they are beautifully tanned. The liquid in the pots looked like stock - of course, it could have started out as water. Is this how they keep them warm and "moist" all day?

That is one good sandwich. I used to work across the street from Viand and we ordered lunch from them most days. A decent Greek salad, I seem to recall. They make a fine milkshake, too.