• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lippy, i do it real simple but it's so tasty you don't need anything else: although Orik mentioned some fancy stuff he did.

I melt a lot of butter ( whole stick, actually :ph43r: ) in a hot medium sized pan, and then fry the salted lobes 3-4 minutes on each side ("Fish" book by Bittman).

Sprinkled with coarse black pepper, and twist of lemon.

I started off with a couple of recipes in the Nero Wolfe cookbook, and now extemporize. Essentially, you want to introduce the lobes to some kind of pork product, butter and/or cream, white wine and herbs - the details are up to you. For example, start to fry some bacon pieces in butter (you don't want them crispy); then introduce the lobes, add some cream and wine just to cover, and some fresh chopped chives. Let the lobes simmer; turn them after about five minutes - very, very carefully - and just let them cook through on the other sides. Remove to warm plates, reduce the sauce a little if you please, pour it over the lobes and sprinkle some more fresh herbs.

You can also wrap the lobes in bacon or ham; you can use different herbs; add tomatoes, make it spicy, whatever. The most likely mishap is that you will break a lobe. Be very careful when you separate them by cutting the membrane which holds them in pairs; and be extra careful once they are cooked and fragile. But don't be too anxious - I usually manage to break a corner and lose a few eggs here and there, you just don't want the whole thing to disintegrate.

Of course, the anxiety-free approach, is to deliberately break them up while sauteeing, and spread the eggs on toast. A squeeze of lemon; maybe a few capers. And at Barbuto, Jonathan Waxman is breadcrumbing them before frying.

Since the season is short, buy some to freeze. Better frozen shad roe than none at all.

Lippy, i do it real simple but it's so tasty you don't need anything else: although Orik mentioned some fancy stuff he did.

I melt a lot of butter ( whole stick, actually :ph43r: ) in a hot medium sized pan, and then fry the salted lobes 3-4 minutes on each side ("Fish" book by Bittman).

Sprinkled with coarse black pepper, and twist of lemon.

Do you have any trouble turning it, Helena? Or does the whole stick of butter make that easier than usual? <_<

Wilf, I'm afraid that you have addressed, but not assuaged, my fears. Do you have a special spatula or turner? Does it help to use a non-stick pan? Is it easier if the pan is much larger than the roe? When should I call the cardiologist?

I haven't had any serious problems with simply frying them (in a non stick pan), a few breaks here and there as some of the eggs blossom, but no disasters. The 'fancy' method I mentioned was half curing them in kosher salt - takes about 6-8 hours. After curing wash them well (about 4 times as long as you think and pat dry). You can now safely bake or fry them with smaller spillage than with raw ones. I've used them in vietnamese lettuce rolls, guess they could work as well in summer rolls. Wilfrid's suggestions are all great, although I tend to only bring them to medium doneness, rather than cook them through.

A matter of taste - I am not too fond of a raw bit in the middle, so I like them just done. For all lifting of tricky fish, I actually use a very long spatula, about three or so inches wide, with a sharp edge, which I bought at Williams & Sonoma. I viewed it as a fish spatula, because that's what I bought it for, but later realised it's actually intended for flipping burgers on a hot outdoor grill.

Yes, a non-stick pan, with plenty of room, certainly helps.