After a couple of visits so far, including one on a Saturday (yesterday), I just really like it.

Of course, of course, the 5th Floor and its most classic works, is gonna be crowded; but even up there, the flow and the spacing of art is quite well done.  And curatorially, the rearrangement of works is in my opinion, quite excellent.

Guernica hasn't been here in years, but The Charnel House may send chills up (or down) your spine, sitting and admiring it from the bench strategically in front of the work. the 5 Matisse Jeannettes grouped together - just great. Haring on 3 walls in his own little gallery - lovely; Matisse's cutouts get a similar treatment. Brancusi, Giacometti, Weston and Lange - all the classics, now showing in all their glory.

And the Nouvel tower itself is quite a piece, sitting and staring as it does at Saarinen's Black Rock.

What a fine job. 

This piece, from this past October, shows how the museum has grown since its inception in the early 1930s.

Oh - don't necessarily go on a Saturday or Sunday during the holiday season (maybe if there's a blizzard?). I got off the F at 49th and 6th, and I might as well have been in the middle of...well, let's just say there were more people on the street than I really care for. 

We've been there twice since it's re-opened, including today. Lots of new nooks where you find unexpected surprises. I've got to say, their kids programing continues to impress. Considerably better than the Met. (and it's free! plus they give you a pass for a return visit)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Wandering it again today, I saw Florine Stetheimer has a room, which is good, including a wonderful decorated screen I don’t remember from the Jewish Museum show.

Stuart Davis and Gerald Murphy seem finally to have been hidden away.

The show in the big atrium space on the second floor is for children, right? I don’t even know what it was.

Wandering it again today, I saw Florine Stetheimer has a room, which is good, including a wonderful decorated screen I don’t remember from the Jewish Museum show.

Stuart Davis and Gerald Murphy seem finally to have been hidden away.

The show in the big atrium space on the second floor is for children, right? I don’t even know what it was.

I do remember seeing a performance piece in that atrium space (I think it was that space), performed by two children, who were insulting each other by singing. It was a bit weird.

https://www.lissongallery.com/news/allora-calzadilla-performance-fault-lines-included-in-group-exhibition-at-moma