• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair It's not visible except to someone who's inclined to guess which unlinked URLs are likely to exist. 

Nice coverage. (For heaven's sake - Tocino de Cielo - bacon from heaven, not del Cielo - of the heaven, to continue our theme...)

Noisy.   Wine bar "area" may now be open.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Nice meal here last night. Started with croquetas, always a good choice.

Our apps included the fritos de calamares y sepia, nice frying here. Our second app:

IMG_4350.thumb.JPG.530ea20a831a805fe86d19822da7c169.JPG

I thought was weird; cured arctic char, over "ensaladilla Rusa" with paddlefish roe. All sounds nice, but then some sort of honey concoction was drizzled over the char. Unexpected. And while the ensaladilla was excellent, those overcrisped crisps added nada. By losing the drizzle and the crisps, this app would've been a winner.

For our platos pricipales, Significant Eater had macarrones con hongos...

IMG_4354.thumb.JPG.06453aaf7651fd1db2032ec578430e82.JPG

Quite good, and loaded with porcinis, while I opted for...

IMG_4352.thumb.JPG.2452c27f369ce6cd33f8750d2cb98060.JPG

monkifish, aka rape con gambas de palamos. Actually, monkfish with one Mediterranean red shrimp, with nice peas in a delicious broth.

A nice meal, good to see some favorite local people, but let me complain a bit, because why not?  

They now are adding (and they're not the only ones I've see do this) a 20% tip automatically to the bill. It's explained on the menu, and shows up distinctly on the bill, so no one is trying to put anything over on anyone. There's another line on the check for a tip, which of course I did.  So this meal, with a $70 bottle of wine, one cocktail, and 2 glasses of dessert wine to accompany the cheesecake, was close to $400. Good thing we saved so much dough over the last 15 months. And no, this isn't really stuff I could or would cook at home - unless I had like 2 helpers who, when they were done helping me, didn't want to kill me.

That auto 20% seems to be becoming the norm. This was my favorite explanation that I've seen, from Fulgurances in Greenpoint. They have different definitions of "gratuities", "required", and "expected" than I do.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 9.43.22 AM.png

I agree.  But if this is a way to (a) do away with all the inequities of tip-based compensation while (b) appearing to keep prices down for the people who are too stupid (or selfish) to think clearly and would react badly to raised prices that reflect actual costs, I'm all for it.

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I agree.  But if this is a way to (a) do away with all the inequities of tip-based compensation while

Note that it does nothing like that. In fact it removes a protection (tips can't legally be touched by the restaurant) and doesn't replace it with anything as the restaurant can use this fee for any purpose. 

Well since the (white female) servers expect to get about 15% of sales (minus tip credit), as they would in a tipped situation, the restaurant won't be able to pay them any less, so I'm not sure how their word can be true. 

But what this really is right now is counting on receiving tips on top of the service charge as people just feel the urge to tip. 

5 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

That auto 20% seems to be becoming the norm. This was my favorite explanation that I've seen, from Fulgurances in Greenpoint. They have different definitions of "gratuities", "required", and "expected" than I do.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 9.43.22 AM.png

Did you eat there?  We liked Fulgurances in Paris & were waiting for the place they told us was forthcoming in Bklyn.  Then COVID hit.  I knew they opened a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure that we wouldn't rather wait for the next chef to rotate in.  We'd like to hear some 1st hand experience.

4 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Did you eat there?  We liked Fulgurances in Paris & were waiting for the place they told us was forthcoming in Bklyn.  Then COVID hit.  I knew they opened a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure that we wouldn't rather wait for the next chef to rotate in.  We'd like to hear some 1st hand experience.

Nope, I saw the writeup on Grubhub, went to their website, saw this "explanation" of their no-tipping policy and screenshotted it and sent it to all my friends for a good laugh.