The die is cast. D'Artagnan have grouse on sale for a little over $20 a piece plus shipping. They must have been frozen, but even so.

Made the pounti. I am going to serve slices of it with duck confit (D’Art.) which with a sauce should make for a very rich dish. Will balance with some braised Swiss chard on the side.

That’s for the 24th. Next day I plan to introduce leftover prunes from the pounti to my patiently waiting grouse. Not sure what else to serve with it. Stilton after of course.

Discovered I had some 2002 Cornas allegedly past its drink by date. R. Michel, the Coteaux not the Geynale. It was still good but I was right to open it.

So D-I-L asked if we would like them to take on one holiday meal next year, rather than having two here.   

How do you respond that putting the meals on the table is child's play if SHE WOULD GET OFF HER PHONE AND TEND THE KIDS?    I think I got the point across tonight.   

Or not...

Happy holidays.

I cooked a goose. Confited the legs and wings and gizzards and served in a salad then roasted the breasts. Mashed potatoes fortified with goose fat and the rendered cracklings. Pretty pretty good. Chestnut souffles for dessert (pre-ordained by ab^2 and I harvesting them this fall).

Canned shellfish from Gueyu Mar to start. The berberechos are incredible.

An old Carema to drink.

• Like 1

24th North German fish brunch >> Champagne (Guy Brunot Grand Reserve N.V., I don't think so fancy, Ossetra caviar (because  fancy), North Sea brown shrimp, smoked salmon, gravad salmon, herring salad Sylt style. All served with rye bread, except brioche with the caviar because I was planning to make blinis but saw too late that I didn't have enough yeast. 

24th dinner is as always raclette, because it's easy. Our CSA carries really good ones from Switzerland. Pickles, steamed potatoes, different kinds of ham, that sort of thing. (Kids in Germany open presents on Xmas eve, so they're too crazy to sit for long at the table). I think the wine was our standard white burgundy. Pear Williams schnaps + a couple of rounds of Just Dance 2020 on the new Nintendo Switch to aid digestion.  ^_^

25th dinner was venison filet pan browned then in low oven for 30 minutes. Pan sauce (crème fraîche, venison stock etc.) crisp pan fried porcini, Brussels sprouts with speck, home-made spätzle, not home made lingonberry preserves. Dessert as always, Pierre Hermé mousse au chocolate. The wine was a 1999 Haut Médoc. 

26th was pasta with ham and peas (ham leftover from the raclette) because somehow we are also hosting a sleepover. No wine with the meal though we shared a schnaps with the dad when he dropped them off. 

Still not sure what the 26th will be. Depends if the hunk of pork butt I put in a low oven is done before 10.

Started the holiday eating off with Walker's mince pies on Christmas Eve.  We also assembled the dough for KAF's Almond-Apricot Coffee Cake, which took nearly all of our morning awake time on Christmas Day to assemble.  (Breakfast was some yogurt with muesli, and coffee with pfeffernusse.)  We had one of N's friends over for late lunch/early dinner.  He brought crackers and an assortment of cheeses to start; the main meal was roast chicken with a stuffing of bread, sausage meat, and bourbon-soaked prunes, roasted Brussel sprouts, carrots, and new red potatoes, Unibroue Fin du Monde beer to drink, and a basic trifle (ladyfingers, dried fruit, Bird's custard) and Terry's Chocolate Orange for dessert.

N is content to spread the Christmas goodies until Epiphany.  We had a small steamed pudding for dessert tonight, and still have mini-panettones, the rest of the mince pies, and a couple of very strong beers to get through.