Saying Goodbye to the Last Decade - How/What/Why/Where We Ate

@Maison Rustique, I feel for you. I’ve been challenged by thumb pain (chopping, opening jars and bottles, lifting things), and I assumed it was osteoarthritis, which I’ve had in my hip and legs for years.

PT discovered it was back related and gave me a simple solution (lying on a foam roller). Good luck with your pain.

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm keeping Wonton Amera all to myself.

Sell tough, chewy beef kebabs. Doner Shula’s.

Just don't have an MRI of your lower back; it's practically guaranteed to show other "issues," even if they may not be affecting other "parts."

@Maison Rustique, I feel for you. I’ve been challenged by thumb pain (chopping, opening jars and bottles, lifting things), and I assumed it was osteoarthritis, which I’ve had in my hip and legs for years.

PT discovered it was back related and gave me a simple solution (lying on a foam roller). Good luck with your pain.

Thank you for that info! My physical therapist determined that much of the trouble with my hips was from my back, too. She gave me exercises but none with the foam roller, and I do have a roller. I'll break it out and start lying on it. 

And yes, that’s entirely legitimate. But you know you’re going to get solid food, right? First example springs to mind for me is Mont Blanc 52. No innovation but they’ve been cooking that menu forever, there won’t be any mistakes, and it’s a lot of fun.

(Ukrainian Home, kind of, but it’s sort of straight-faced fun.)

Yep - my issue with Ukrainian Home is one of - jesus, this food, in these quantities...will kill me. 

Thank you for that info! My physical therapist determined that much of the trouble with my hips was from my back, too. She gave me exercises but none with the foam roller, and I do have a roller. I'll break it out and start lying on it. 

Everything is back related.  I was hoping my sometimes staggering hip pain was actually due to my hip; but no, lumbar spine is a hot mess.

• Like 1

And yes, that’s entirely legitimate. But you know you’re going to get solid food, right? First example springs to mind for me is Mont Blanc 52. No innovation but they’ve been cooking that menu forever, there won’t be any mistakes, and it’s a lot of fun.

(Ukrainian Home, kind of, but it’s sort of straight-faced fun.)

Yep - my issue with Ukrainian Home is one of - jesus, this food, in these quantities...will kill me. 

Everything is back related.  I was hoping my sometimes staggering hip pain was actually do to my hip; but no, lumbar spine is a hot mess.

I walked in to find husband rolling a soda can under his foot.    Doing?     Is that for your foot or ankle or leg?   His therapist advised it for whole body.    It's one interrelated hot mess.

• Like 1

35 years ago my sciatica inflamed and remained a major problem for almost a year. After that finally stopped being acute, I had my first MRI to determine what might have caused it. Turned out that 3 discs were in various states of disrepair and there was also stenosis narrowing the nerve passages and making inflammation more likely. At any rate, playing squash and basketball was over but days of doubles tennis continued. Over the years, it’s been on and off but Aleve seems to allow me to keep things livable.

So... 6 months ago I became aware that my left arm (I’m left handed) had decided to become a tuning fork, periodically tingling away. Off to a spinal/sports medicine doctor & a new set of upper MRIs which showed 3 upper discs in various states of disrepair and major stenosis. Bottom line from the expert: “your arm and shoulder has what your back has”. Aleve has now been joined by Physical Therapy and 300mgs of gabapentin daily, which minimalizes the nerves’ ability to “fire”. And, since the gabapentin doesn’t know that it’s prescribed for my arm, my back and legs have benefitted as well. Still playing tennis.

Another year, another dysfunctional part. We’re all getting older. If I go back to Florida (we’re not this winter), I’ll have another injury to kvetch about with the other old geezers.

• Like 1

So... 6 months ago I became aware that my left arm (I’m left handed) had decided to become a tuning fork, periodically tingling away. Off to a spinal/sports medicine doctor & a new set of upper MRIs which showed 3 upper discs in various states of disrepair and major stenosis. Bottom line from the expert: “your arm and shoulder has what your back has”. 

Another year, another dysfunctional part. We’re all getting older. If I go back to Florida (we’re not this winter), I’ll have another injury to kvetch about with the other old geezers.

MY C4 - C7 discs have all been replaced by various "devices," as one arm was not only a tuning fork, but was unable to really help the other arm, as well as being in a constant state of burning pain.  

And while this thread has turned into a kvetch fest (temporarily, I'm sure), it beats hanging with what's left of the family and hearing their problems.

I guess no one has moved into using mass quantities of turmeric for its alleged anti-inflamatory properties?

So... 6 months ago I became aware that my left arm (I’m left handed) had decided to become a tuning fork, periodically tingling away. Off to a spinal/sports medicine doctor & a new set of upper MRIs which showed 3 upper discs in various states of disrepair and major stenosis. Bottom line from the expert: “your arm and shoulder has what your back has”. 

MY C4 - C7 discs have all been replaced by various "devices," as one arm was not only a tuning fork, but was unable to really help the other arm, as well as being in a constant state of burning pain.  

And while this thread has turned into a kvetch fest (temporarily, I'm sure), it beats hanging with what's left of the family and hearing their problems.

I guess no one has moved into using mass quantities of turmeric for its alleged anti-inflamatory properties?

I sell mass quantities of turmeric at my Park Slope Food Coop shifts. The fools should be buying supplements instead (which most members don't know are priced higher because theft is high in our utopian community). Ten times the active ingredient, and just as ineffective.

Diverticulitis and a cocktail-bruised liver changed the last half of my decade. I've mostly traded meats for fish. Which this week I can barely chew, thanks to my first-ever tooth infection. Tonight's pre-Rosenkavalier dinner will be at Atlantic Grill. "Which fish is softest, please?"

• Like 1

Since everyone is kvetching, I'm recovering from a laminectomy I had last month. They had to remove parts of 3 lamina (L3, L4, & L5) which were rubbing up against a nerve causing pain to shoot down my leg & numbness in my toes. I was suffering since May. I had 3 epidural injections and numerous physical therapy treatments, all to no avail. The surgery was my last option. At least I no longer have pain running down my leg and numbness in my toes. Although it looks like I have osteoarthritis in my hip area. It sucks getting old, but as Evelyn said it beats the alternative.