canis (toronto)

l'express (montreal)

joe beef (montreal)

tenant (minneapolis) in july

hai hai (minneapolis)

and a bunch of lower-end meals in the twin cities that would sit uneasily in threads like this one. and oh, we really liked that sandwich place in new york too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the thread is ostensibly about best meals, one of ours was an evening in Provincetown, where we were cooked for by locals. With local stuff.   Scallops, barely cooked.  Razor clams, uncooked,

In the same vein - two big beautiful conch just out of water (planned to go spear fishing but had a spear gun malfunction), with simple yucatan ceviche marinade (tomato, onion, lime juice, salt, peppe

It does.   So I started this thread forgetting that, absent the Pink Pig, I need to look at my actual diary for this year’s meals, but I will get around to it.

Since the thread is ostensibly about best meals, one of ours was an evening in Provincetown, where we were cooked for by locals. With local stuff.

Scallops, barely cooked.  Razor clams, uncooked, in a great ceviche.  Jonah crab. Grilled black sea bass.  Everything had come out of the sea barely 4 hours earlier.  It was pretty wonderful.

• Like 1

assumed everyone would say Frenchette.  I went to China three times last year so, well, that should take up most of them... I believe i was in montreal, that was fun.. lawrence and joe beef being my two favorite experiences there.. Or maybe the sandwich from wilensky's, or the crab that was running in the st lawrence..  Or maybe something I cooked at home... Haven't really been moved too much by anything in new york these days. meals more highlighted because who they were with as opposed to what we were eating.. I think I had some good mozarella sticks some where this year in a restaurant, or maybe it was at a state fair?  Actually, I am going to say, the best thing I ate in new york city this year was the vegan slice of pizza from Pauli G's slice shop, or a slice of pizza from Mama's Too

tenant (minneapolis) in july

hai hai (minneapolis)

Have not yet been to Tenant. But my best Twin Cities restaurant meal of 2019 was Hai Hai.

we will probably go back to hai hai after we get back from india in feb (we leave next week).

you should go to tenant.

Since the thread is ostensibly about best meals, one of ours was an evening in Provincetown, where we were cooked for by locals. With local stuff.

Scallops, barely cooked.  Razor clams, uncooked, in a great ceviche.  Jonah crab. Grilled black sea bass.  Everything had come out of the sea barely 4 hours earlier.  It was pretty wonderful.

In the same vein - two big beautiful conch just out of water (planned to go spear fishing but had a spear gun malfunction), with simple yucatan ceviche marinade (tomato, onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro) were easily one of the best meals of the year. 

The rest is pretty predictable - Lera just last week, Manresa, the Frenchette continuum - not just for many good meals but for one or two that were outright outstanding, one meal at Aska, lots of great fish and seafood.

• Like 1

I've walked past Villanelle often, but hadn't heard anything about it to make me interested.  The tasting menu looks generous for $80. Cheaper than Contra, and Contra has no lobster or venison on its currently posted menu.

It does.

So I started this thread forgetting that, absent the Pink Pig, I need to look at my actual diary for this year’s meals, but I will get around to it.

• Like 1

U.S. only.

Alter (Miami, thanks Chambolle), a really assured but very expensive tasting menu.

Partage (Las Vegas, thanks Evelyn), simpler but precisely good at an incredibly reasonable price.

Others I liked:

Monsieur Benjamin (San Francisco)

Blackbird (Chicago: a personal connection there too)

Tiger Mama (Boston, thanks Abby)

Sparrow & the Wolf (LV, thanks again Evelyn)

Twist (LV)

Herbsaint (New Orleans)

Will also note The Blessed Liebrandt at the Chef’s Club

Locally, nice meals at the bar at Faro, and some pleasant surprises, like the pigeon special at Pardon My French.

Old school always good:

Galatoire’s (New Orleans like you don’t know)

Buckhorn Exchange (Denver)

Hilarious but good food too:

Felix’s Oyster House (New Orleans)

Also let’s be honest As I go over my notes, the disgraceful, rubbish meals* I’d be embarrassed to serve at home, some from places highly touted in the glossy magazines I am stupid enough to read, and some close to home. Or, how I wasted maybe a thousand dollars:

Elm Street (Dallas)

Brewer’s Table (Austin) - had to go to Bufalino’s for snacks afterwards

Bazaar Meat (LV, inedible steak)

Shula’s (Orlando, inedible steak - is this hard guys?)

Mishiguene (NYC, at that price)

Casa Mono (NYC)

E&O (San Francisco)

I am leaving out a bunch of places which were middling okay.

*ETA: Re-reading, that’s harsh. Some were just lackluster, disappointing, clumsy. But the initial epithets were fueled by the truth that mediocrity often costs $100 these days.

• Like 1

Since I see now how much you like a good steak...if you don't mind paying those egregious Strip prices...you should go to CUT. But, there is an incredible alternative off-Strip (like you're shocked I'm suggesting this  :P ). Go back to Sparrow + Wolf and ask for the off menu miso rubbed dry aged porterhouse. I'd pick this over any Strip version...

My thoughts about Strip steak spots is that unless you are 'known to the house", or a local, that your meal could/likely will suffer from the turn and burn syndrome. You get whatever is ready when your ticket comes up if you are not in one of those two categories. And, after talking with a friend who worked at one of the best steak restaurants on the Strip--most people order medium to medium well  :angry: . So that's mostly what is on the grill. And, most diners will just eat that after hearing the kitchen might spit on their food if they send it back  :wacko:  :ph43r: . Dine at your own risk.