• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the thread is ostensibly about best meals, one of ours was an evening in Provincetown, where we were cooked for by locals. With local stuff.   Scallops, barely cooked.  Razor clams, uncooked,

In the same vein - two big beautiful conch just out of water (planned to go spear fishing but had a spear gun malfunction), with simple yucatan ceviche marinade (tomato, onion, lime juice, salt, peppe

It does.   So I started this thread forgetting that, absent the Pink Pig, I need to look at my actual diary for this year’s meals, but I will get around to it.

I thought I had seen tiny brown shrimp in Chinatown but when or where I don’t know. I’ve done pancakes with shrimp or crayfish, but just as a random appetizer idea, not consciously copying something. And with regular flour.

Lippy, thank you so much for this.   I will definitely give it a try, and will lift a glass to you!

Oops -- forgot to add one step:  after the batter rests, add another 4 - 6 T.of the shrimp to stock thin it.  You should have started with about 2 cups of stock.  This is probably the step I keep forgetting about that turns the recipe into latkes instead of tortillitas.

• Like 1

That book is weirdly full of non-working recipes, but even with the correct recipe you need to make up somehow for the lack of tiny shell on shrimp as they provide both structure and streams of vapor venting into the pancake as it cooks. Just shrimp meat isn't going to cut it, and replacing water with stock will only make things worse.

• Like 1

That book is weirdly full of non-working recipes, but even with the correct recipe you need to make up somehow for the lack of tiny shell on shrimp as they provide both structure and streams of vapor venting into the pancake as it cooks. Just shrimp meat isn't going to cut it, and replacing water with stock will only make things worse.

So the idea (here) is basically to find the smallest shell on shrimp available?

So the idea (here) is basically to find the smallest shell on shrimp available?

They can't be marketed in an environment where five days out of water is "fresh". Even inside Spain people would be really suspicious of them more than a short trip away from Cádiz.