Sign in to follow this  
Stone

The Mandalorian (Disney +)

Just finished the first season.  This show sucks.  Bad writing.  Bad acting.  Bad plots.

But everyone seems to love it.

As someone who has not seen any of the star wars since Return of the Jedi, which I assume is the last one with the original cast, where should I begin?  I watched the one with Jar Jar Binks for like 15 minutes on an airplane and decided against it... Halp, i am no longer in the loop. 

You shouldn't.  The remaining Star Wars movies (I, II, III, VII, & VII -- I haven't seen IX yet) aren't worth the time or money. They're mediocre action movies and the only joy comes from nostalgia every time there's a good light saber fight.

I wonder whether I would have enjoyed the original if I was an adult when it came out.  I saw it again recently and it was whiny and annoying.

You shouldn't.  The remaining Star Wars movies (I, II, III, VII, & VII -- I haven't seen IX yet) aren't worth the time or money. They're mediocre action movies and the only joy comes from nostalgia every time there's a good light saber fight.

I wonder whether I would have enjoyed the original if I was an adult when it came out.  I saw it again recently and it was whiny and annoying.

yeh, i have no real fondness for star wars.. I use to play with the figures quite a bit and I must have liked the ewoks but, i dont even have a nostalgia for it.

I think the 8th one and Rogue One are the best ones by far, which isn’t saying much. a lot of film nerds I know seem to like the 5th one, which is better shot than the other early ones, but I don’t get it.

if you don’t have any nostalgia for them there’s no reason to see any of them, although I’m surprised you don’t have to see them with your younger kid. both my kids are really into them.

I haven’t seen the mandalorian yet, episode ix was better than vii or solo but behind viii if you ask me. my 9 year old wasn’t that excited by it.

Just finished the first season. This show sucks. Bad writing. Bad acting. Bad plots.

Uhm. Baby Yoda? Maybe you've heard of it?

Just finished the first season. This show sucks. Bad writing. Bad acting. Bad plots.

Uhm. Baby Yoda? Maybe you've heard of it?

Also is this HBO? I thought it was just Disney+?

it is just disney +. I’ll fix the title.

this is the first negative thing I’ve heard about it FWIW.

also at the risk of starting a “toys have stopped” thread 90% of the stuff my kids asked for for christmas was around when I was a kid.

Sorry, yes, Disney.

I thought Rogue One was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Most of the Mandalorian was just filler.  I read somewhere that each episode is an homage to some classic film.  the Seven Samurai episode was pretty obvious, but I didn't catch the others.