Robert Wagner at The Dining Room, an upscale restaurant at the time (15-20 years ago) in the Hilton Short Hills, NJ

Robert Wagner and Jill St. John at La Grenouille (not long after we saw him in NJ)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And apparently, so do I!     Good lord, yes, back when I was serving my time in WeddingWorld. The famous people were generally a lot nicer than the regular old rich people.

Saw Popeye eating spinach many times - still do.

Secretariat wasn't acting.

In the early days of of the first iteration of Pastis, I sat at the next table to Liv Tyler.  I was surprised how much weight she'd put on.

I later learned that Liv Tyler has a heavier younger sister.  So it wasn't Liv Tyler.

During one of our dinners at EMP Summer House, our server whispered to me that Jay-Z had just been seated (along with 2 male friends) at a table for 6 one table away from ours, and that Beyoncé was on her way.  A few minutes later, she arrived with two girl friends.  Since I didn’t know what either of them looked like, if our server hadn’t told me they were there, I wouldn’t have spotted them. And when I told Michael, he had no idea who they were.  

Of course, you frequently see actors eating at nearby restaurants after shows.  Like, I dunno, Harriet Walter at Vinegar Hill House after one of her Shakespeare performances at St. Ann's.  Or Sir Thomas Allen (a singer not an actor) at New World Cafe after a performance at BAM.  (The dining room erupted into applause when he entered.)

Farley Granger at Sardi's. My mother asked him to autograph her Playbill, even though he was not in the play we'd just seen.

Uma Thurman twice - once at The Mill in Morningside Heights, right after Dangerous Liaisons came out. And many years later at The Bear in Woodstock.

Jon Stewart at the Pink Teacup, but he was still on line waiting to get in as we were leaving. So I did not technically see him eating.

Dan Ackroyd at the Munson Diner (I think that was the name of it - briefly hip place in far west midtown?). We were at the same party, though, so I'm not sure it counts.

Of course, you frequently see actors eating at nearby restaurants after shows.

Yes! Ann Magnuson at Chumley's after Four Dogs and a Bone. Also the rest of the cast, so probably Adam Arkin as well, but I have no memory of seeing him.

I will omit those that we see regularly at our local place(s) or live on our block or those whom we’ve been out with due to Ginny’s previous careers. So, here are some of my happy memories of accidental meetings:

-standing on line, waiting for a table, & talking with Joe Cocker (who had no discernible twitches);

-eating Mexican food, sitting next to Jack Cassidy, at a restaurant’s bar before a Hot Tuna Concert;

-hanging out talking to Jimmy Smits, waiting for our pies to come out at DiFara’s;

-being at the next table from Bernadette Peters at River Cafe twice;

-being at the next table from David Brenner many years ago;

-does eating and drinking at a friend’s party with George Carlin count?;

-having dinner with Mongo.

Off topic: did I ever mention that I saw Mick Jagger nude? (No, not at a bar, restaurant or party). (&, no, I didn’t look & cant tell you).