Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

Uses of Feta

I bought a block for a specific purpose, and have lots left. Any suggestions other than throw bits into a salad?

It’s too sharp and salty to just enjoy on its own, for me anyway.

If it’s too salty you can marinate in olive oil with herbs and spices. Pink peppercorn and rosemary or something.

Make one of those Greek tomato sauces with feta. Maybe do an eggs in purgatory with feta.

Lamb chops and like a cucumber feta salad. Or mashed potatoes and feta. Or like a feta croqueta.

Feta dip.

Shakshuka too.  You can also make a cheese course, drizzling honey over it.

If it’s too salty you can marinate in olive oil with herbs and spices. Pink peppercorn and rosemary or something.

Make one of those Greek tomato sauces with feta. Maybe do an eggs in purgatory with feta.

I like feta in an omelet, with tomatoes and onions and peppers.

Have you ever been out to Titan Foods in Astoria.  They carry like a dozen varieties of feta; some, surprisingly not (too) salty.  The cheese guy once told me they go through like 2,000 lbs. a week.

• Like 1

I like feta in an omelet, with tomatoes and onions and peppers.

Have you ever been out to Titan Foods in Astoria.  They carry like a dozen varieties of feta; some, surprisingly not (too) salty.  The cheese guy once told me they go through like 2,000 lbs. a week.

Oh how I miss Titan Foods.  Sometimes they have feta samples.  Euro Market on 31st Street just south of the 30th Avenue carries lots of feta too, plus they have a great beer selection.  (Or used to 5 years ago.)

• Like 1

When they give you a sample (just by asking for a taste) of feta at Titan Foods, be prepared for a chunk; I don't think they believe in small tastes!

Best way IMO - cut feta in 3/16th inch thick slices. Mix sesame seeds (white, black or combo) flour, pepper, corn starch. Dredge both sides with mixture. Place some olive oil in fry pan, cook about 2/3 minutes each side. Serve with lemon, honey and chopped parsley. Incredible app.

When they give you a sample (just by asking for a taste) of feta at Titan Foods, be prepared for a chunk; I don't think they believe in small tastes!

I don't remember being "given" samples; they often had bowls of samples out in front of the cheese counter.

I don't remember being "given" samples; they often had bowls of samples out in front of the cheese counter.

I've definitely gotten samples when the bowls aren't displayed.

My guess is that they put out samples for the busiest times and days of the week. On like a Tuesday, at 10 AM, probably not so much, and then all you need to do is ask.  I know very few cheese counters (and certainly don't shop at any) that won't give a taste.

Indeed.   Cheese sellers are always willing to provide samples to help customers decide what to BUY, buy being the operative word.